Why become a member? ×

Bass combo advice

StraightSix

Greetings Lowriders - my first proper post and I need some advice.

I am looking for a smallish bass combo around 50-100W for portability but I would like an extension speaker out for those slightly more demanding lower volume bashes.

I have a Trace Elliot GP12SMX 4X10 combo (which I may be parting with but that's another story) for bigger stuff but want something for jams and acoustic-ish get-togethers.

I would love to get a Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 but the prices over here are outrageous compared to the States - it would give me everything I want with portability, extension out and the head comes out for use with other cabs...ah well.

I have been looking at a couple of ideas - the Ampeg BA112, the Ampeg B100R and older possibilities like the Ashdown Five Fifteen and SWR Basic Black but AFAIK none of these can use an extension cab except the Basic Black - is it a good buy...?

The Ashdown Five Fifteen has an extension out but it disconnects the internal speaker which seems like a bizarre design...?

Any useful suggestions in my quest would be much appreciated :)

Do you have a budget? The Ibanez Promathean gets excellent reviews on here & also worth looking at are Markbass & Genz Benz combos. You could probably replace the TE 4x10 combo with one, I did.
Had a Trace 4x10 combo & now have the Markbass 2x10 combo which is far superior in every respect (louder, bassier, clearer, lighter & more portable).

Edited by xgsjx

Thanks for the reply xgsjx - I have an aversion to yellow amps so the MB is out before we start.

The Genz Benz STL 6.0 12T combo looks very nice - and portable too. I will have to do some research on these. I may take a trip to BassDirect and have a play sometime soon.

I was really looking for around 100W just for home playing and small jams really - the extension cab thing was just to give a bit of spread if needed (outdoors for example). I have a 1X15 extension that I will probably hang onto for this - very similar to the TE 1153 cab.

The SWR Basic Black looks a possibility running 100W on its own and 160W with an extension.

Cheers