Why become a member? ×

Maple neck Fenders

Jono Bolton

Is it just me or do maple necks not really seem to be an option on Fender basses? Looking about on the net all the MIM basses have rosewood fingerboards and an all maple neck isn't available. The same goes for Squiers. There seems to be plenty of maple MIJ Fenders but I've not got the benjamins for one. The thing is, maple necks are available for for Mexican guitars, Strats and Teles, but not Precisions and Jazzes, it really grinds my gears. Does anyone know where you can get one? I'm lusting after a white P.
This

looks pretty tasty, although it appears to have been Eddie Van Halen'd at some point

There are some knocking about - I've seen some standard MIMs with maple boards on ebay. I was thinking about one myself for a while. Also all of the [u]active[/u] P Special Deluxe models I've seen have had maple boards.

Currently they don't make em in Mexico though - remember Fender mexico use the same neck supplies as Fender US - and they don't even make Highway Ones with maple boards.

You're right - Jap maples are far more common - but they're from different wood stocks.

[quote name='SJA' post='164853' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:04 PM']Squier do a couple- the pete wentz P and the vintage modified jazz.[/quote]

Beat me to it there! Yes, the natural satin maple neck on the Squier Pete Wenz Precision / Vintage Modified Jazz (same neck) is excellent. Next up in the price range is the Fender 50's Precision at around £500, then the mexican made active Fender deluxe P-bass special, followed by the Japanese Fender Geddy Lee signature jazz. That one's glossed as well, which gives the GL a highly three-dimensional sound.

Oh, forgot the telebass shape Precisions as well... The 51 Precision, Sting Signature & the cheaper Vintage Modified TeleBass Squier all have maple necks, too.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='164873' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:32 PM']Beat me to it there! Yes, the natural satin maple neck on the Squier Pete Wenz Precision / Vintage Modified Jazz (same neck) is excellent. Next up in the price range is the Fender 50's Precision at around £500, then the mexican made active Fender deluxe P-bass special, followed by the Japanese Fender Geddy Lee signature jazz. That one's glossed as well, which gives the GL a highly three-dimensional sound.

Oh, forgot the telebass shape Precisions as well... The 51 Precision, Sting Signature & the cheaper Vintage Modified TeleBass Squier all have maple necks, too.[/quote]

That's a pretty comprehensive list there :)

They're all far east made then? Apart from the active p bass special deluxe (which I don't think they make any more)

Yep, the Squiers are all Chinese (I think) & none the worse for it! The Telebass shapes are Japanese, same as the Geddy Lee signature. Only ones from the Americas, as it were, are the Precision Deluxe Specials. They're Mexican made.

Jono, you can always snap up one of the last MIA S1 models, like I did with my jazz. They're £699 at sound control, as opposed to the list price of around £900.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='165035' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:25 AM']Yep, the Squiers are all Chinese (I think) & none the worse for it! The Telebass shapes are Japanese, same as the Geddy Lee signature. Only ones from the Americas, as it were, are the Precision Deluxe Specials. They're Mexican made.

Jono, you can always snap up one of the last MIA S1 models, like I did with my jazz. They're £699 at sound control, as opposed to the list price of around £900.[/quote]

I've not really got as much as that to part with just now :) To be honest I'm probably looking for a second hand Mexican one, or possibly the Squier TB, it's in the 'Wish List'.