Why become a member? ×

Well nobdy else wanted it on evilBay...

99ster

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='87073' date='Nov 11 2007, 10:09 PM']Whoa, that looks stonking. You must be like a dog with two whatsits. I'm intrigued by the 'router hump'-I'd like to see a pic of that when you get round to it.[/quote]

From what I understand, the 'router hump' was a feature of most old Fenders (both guitars & basses) - certainly up to the mid 60's, though I'm not sure exactly what year it stopped appearing. I have a '66 Precision with a 'router hump', and have owned a '69 Precision without.
It was caused by a routing machine at the Fender plant that was unable to complete a smooth curve on the tight curve on the lower horn of the body. This 'feature' stopped appearing when a new routing machine was installed at the plant - sometime in the late 60's. I have heard it said that sometimes it was smoothed out by hand - but personally, I wouldn't buy a 60's Fender without it.
That said, some of the better custom body makers add it as a feature on re-issue guitar & bass bodies.
This is a close-up of the 'router hump' on my '66 Precision:
[attachment=3475:66_pbass...ter_hump.jpg]
[attachment=3476:66_pbass...er_thing.jpg]

And on the 1960 Jazz:
[attachment=3504:60_jazz_...plate_sn.jpg]

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='87404' date='Nov 12 2007, 05:07 PM']show that to the guy who sold it you and he'd probably have a heart attack.[/quote]

I was considering it - as I do still have his email address... but you might be right!

[quote name='99ster' post='87117' date='Nov 12 2007, 12:09 AM']From what I understand, the 'router hump' was a feature of most old Fenders (both guitars & basses) - certainly up to the mid 60's, though I'm not sure exactly what year it stopped appearing. I have a '66 Precision with a 'router hump', and have owned a '69 Precision without.
It was caused by a routing machine at the Fender plant that was unable to complete a smooth curve on the tight curve on the lower horn of the body. This 'feature' stopped appearing when a new routing machine was installed at the plant - sometime in the late 60's. I have heard it said that sometimes it was smoothed out by hand - but personally, I wouldn't buy a 60's Fender without it.
That said, some of the better custom body makers add it as a feature on re-issue guitar & bass bodies.[/quote]

Cheers for that-illustrates it very nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='87587' date='Nov 12 2007, 09:32 PM'][quote]
From what I understand, the 'router hump' was a feature of most old Fenders (both guitars & basses) - certainly up to the mid 60's, though I'm not sure exactly what year it stopped appearing. I have a '66 Precision with a 'router hump', and have owned a '69 Precision without.
That said, some of the better custom body makers add it as a feature on re-issue guitar & bass bodies.[/quote]

Cheers for that-illustrates it very nicely.
[/quote]

I've also read another theory that it was an intentional feature - with the extra wood at that point helping to keep the neck pocket from cracking...

[quote name='99ster' post='112667' date='Jan 2 2008, 11:31 PM']Cheers for that-illustrates it very nicely.

I've also read another theory that it was an intentional feature - with the extra wood at that point helping to keep the neck pocket from cracking...[/quote]

I think Fender were into making 'features' of things that made production easier.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='robert43' post='112842' date='Jan 3 2008, 01:01 PM']Hi I have a question to ask as I am new to bass what where are the 4 mute holes ? thanks I am just wondering & by the way you are 1 lucky dude[/quote]

Sorry - only just seen your reply...
Yes - I am indeed a lucky dude! But - it also took took a lot of effort, hassle, time & expense to get the bass restored to how it looks now.

Mute holes?
Here's a picture of the 4 mute screw holes from my bass:

[attachment=6448:60_jazz_bridge.jpg]

...they are found between the bridge and the bridge pickup...

Here's a picture of some installed (on the Entwistle blonde Jazz):

[attachment=6449:blonde_1960_jazz7.jpg]

For the first few years (1960 to mid 1963) Jazz basses were fitted with individual adjustable felt string mutes - that required 4 holes to fit them to the body. They were added - so the story goes - so you could get a double bass-ish muted sound if you wanted. But the vast majority of players never used them & took the mutes off - so after a few years Fender removed them. And it's very rare to find an original set on a early 60's Jazz bass...as they were very often lost. The presence of the holes can help to date an early Jazz bass body.

And they were also fitted to some vintage style reissue Jazz basses...