Why become a member? ×

Musicman

HADGE

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323779023' post='1466841']
Thought so. It may have just been at the mercy of the eliments then.
A luthier might have been able to fix it by (re)sealing it in properly. But it's neither hear nor there now you got it sorted. :)
[/quote]

Yeah true but as it was a brand new bass thankfully Musicman/S&T jumped on it right away and sorted it.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1323779569' post='1466853']
Most of the boutiques I've had have had necks that move a lot (some an awful lot), and most of them have had ebony boards.
[/quote]

Heh, you can't blame the ebony fingerboards as that's what a lot of boutiques basses have, doesn't mean they will contribute to movement. Most had strings too.

Ebony is the hardest, most dense wood known to man and even sinks in water. Its not going to move more than another wood, especially as a thin laminate.

My maple fingerboard, oiled finish Stingray neck always seems to need tweaking, I wouldn't say it's ever unplayable but it definitely moves more than any other bass I've owned.

The Fenders move a little, an adjustment in Spring and again in Autumn generally.

My Status necks never move, maybe you should get a graphite neck for your 'Ray... a bargain at £300!

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1323790491' post='1467079']
Heh, you can't blame the ebony fingerboards as that's what a lot of boutiques basses have, doesn't mean they will contribute to movement. Most had strings too.

Ebony is the hardest, most dense wood known to man and even sinks in water. Its not going to move more than another wood, especially as a thin laminate.
[/quote]

And it's heavy oil content (which presumably helps deflect moisture) makes it difficult to work with... not to mention it's self-defence properties - it makes me itch like a bastard after I've been working with it all day.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323797499' post='1467238']
And it's heavy oil content (which presumably helps deflect moisture) makes it difficult to work with... not to mention it's self-defence properties - it makes me itch like a bastard after I've been working with it all day.
[/quote]

Doesn't deflect moisture, its just so dense that its heavier than water. Its a remarkable material. Not sure it releases oil to make you itch though. After a couple of weeks it will have shrivelled.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1323994700' post='1469734']
Doesn't deflect moisture, its just so dense that its heavier than water. Its a remarkable material. Not sure it releases oil to make you itch though. After a couple of weeks it will have shrivelled.
[/quote]

:huh:
I was just saying that with it's notoriously oily content perhaps it is able to protect from moisture ingression in much the way a lacquered finish would.... better in fact.

Also check [url="http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm"]this[/url] out.