Why become a member? ×

Cab Quandary

The Goatreich

I've mentioned this in another thread yesterday, but I thought I'd start a new topic to get more opinions.

Yesterday I sold my Ashdown 410/115 rig so now I have some readies to replace them.

My ideal setup would be:

All-valve head - Ampeg 810 classic cab (for larger gigs)
Orange bass terror - Barefaced Compact (for smaller gigs and rehearsals).

My quandary is that I've been offered half retail price Ampegs, so the 810 is instantly affordable, however the Barefaced Compact is also on offer at the moment at £100 off.

I really can't decide which to get first. If I grab the Ampeg, am I going to regret not having the convenience of the compacts? If I get the compacts am I going to regret not having the mansize stack behind me.

Help me out guys before my brain explodes!

[size=4]Are you playing arenas? If you are not then the Ampeg is not a practical choice. Buy a wall of cabs if you really need to make a visual statement but not for the sound.[/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]A Bergantino NV610 would crush an Ampeg fridge (there was one in the FS section). You could also check out the Barefaced 69er.[/size]

No, not arenas. But I would like to at least have the option of a large cab behind me if and when I need it, we do sometimes play gigs where the stage would be large enough to make a compact cab look slightly mickey mouse.

I am leaning towards the Barefaced compact for the convenience...but it feels like this Ampeg offer is too good to turn down.

Ditto, if you can get an Ampeg rig at half price I would grab it. you can always sell it when you get fed up of hauling fridges around next month... :)

Personally with what I've found out recently I would get a pair of compacts, or a compact and a super 12 or something. The whole point of the Barefaced modular system is that you can have a big stack if you want one, or leave the extra boxes at home for the smaller gigs.

You need something like this :-)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199987

[quote name='The Goatreich' timestamp='1322558992' post='1452454']
No, not arenas. But I would like to at least have the option of a large cab behind me if and when I need it, we do sometimes play gigs where the stage would be large enough to make a compact cab look slightly mickey mouse.

I am leaning towards the Barefaced compact for the convenience...but it feels like this Ampeg offer is too good to turn down.
[/quote]

I guess actually it would be worth me grabbing the Ampeg as I'm never likely to lose money on it so it's a worthy investment. Plus, I've always wanted to own one so it would at least appease that part of my GAS.

I'll still save for a Barefaced compact or two in the meantime though, maybe even sell on my SVT3pro and use the Bass Terror for both rigs.

We are in the 21s century pal- I cannot see why anyone would want to lug around a massive cab anymore. I personally love the feeling that I can make a couple of trips from the car with my full rig- especially after the gig.

I remember the feeling of looking at my 2 x 15 or 8 x 10 or 1 x 15 and 4 x 10 ( I have had them all ) at the end of a gig and thinking "bloody hell- I have to move that in a minute" Not a nice feeling.

I think there have been some really good suggestions in this topic - especially regarding a two cab strategy. My Schroeder 2 x 12 and 2 x 15 can be carried easily with one in each arm and my bass on my back. And they would murder any rig I could think of- no problem. Each cab is really more than enough whether you have FOH or not.

I take your point that the Ampeg is cheap- but there is a very important reason why. They really should come with a health warning.

Yup, I'd agree with Bob - I've had an Ampeg fridge, and while it looks very manly, it's the most impractical cab in the world (with the possible exception of the Peavey 18" I had once which was the size, shape and weight of a washing machine). Elderly wimp I am, I've only got one Schroeder 1515L, but it's plenty, plenty loud enough for my drummer, and let's be honest, it's only him you need to keep up with on the volume front. Everything else is about monitoring.

On the other hand, if you're GASing for a fridge and it's a bargain, go for it and get it out of your system. I'm guessing about halfway down the first flight of stairs will be when it starts to lose its thrill. :)

Unless, of course, you have roadies, in which case buy four... :)

A band I was in once bought an old council bus to use in our band- lots of negotiation and we paid up and left.

As we drove from the people we bought it from I could see them all dancing about and laughing and really celebrating the loss of that van- they were really happy to see it go.

It`ll be exactly the same when you ( with difficulty ) manhandle the ancient cab into your van ( for that is what you will need )

Best of Luck!!

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1322560719' post='1452496']
You need something like this :-)

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199987"]http://www.seymourdu...ad.php?t=199987[/url]
[/quote]

When I have my own music room I might make a wall to look like this! I could actually put stuff in them though... oooooo project!!!

+11 and a lot..

I've had 2 x 15's, Warwick Terminator and currently am umming and ahing about my two EBS 410's (which are ludicrously practical compared to an 8x10).... Unless you have roadies you're going to get bored with lugging it around... But then I'm old and knackered - but how do you think I got this way? :-)

And the 810 is for pussies, you really want one of these :-) [url="http://www.tecamp.de/index.php?id=36"]http://www.tecamp.de/index.php?id=36[/url]

And it's lighter and appears 5 db more efficient.. That's equivalent to more than doubling the power of your amp..

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1322568110' post='1452671']
Yup, I'd agree with Bob - I've had an Ampeg fridge, and while it looks very manly, it's the most impractical cab in the world (with the possible exception of the Peavey 18" I had once which was the size, shape and weight of a washing machine). Elderly wimp I am, I've only got one Schroeder 1515L, but it's plenty, plenty loud enough for my drummer, and let's be honest, it's only him you need to keep up with on the volume front. Everything else is about monitoring.

On the other hand, if you're GASing for a fridge and it's a bargain, go for it and get it out of your system. I'm guessing about halfway down the first flight of stairs will be when it starts to lose its thrill. :)

Unless, of course, you have roadies, in which case buy four... :)
[/quote]

Edited by markstuk