Why become a member? ×

GENES-ISH (UK Genesis tribute) This Sat 26th November @ The Office South Shields

BIG.J

I wasn't able to get along for this, but I'll C&P this from a local music forum...

-------------

Genes-ish @ The Office, Sat 26th Nov 2011

As we all know, the North East is a hotbed of talent, and when it comes to tribute bands we are especially well catered for - some of the country's finest residing right at our doorstep.

Consequently our expectations of tribute bands are set very highly indeed and the vast majority of imported talent falls well short of the supreme standards we have come to expect.

NOT THIS BAND.....

Having saw their gig at the 3 Tuns about a year or so ago, I was expecting a quality show, but the lineup changes since that gig have taken what was already a superb tribute and lifted it right up to the very top of the tree.

Arriving an infuriating 15 minutes late, I found the band just about to open "The Cage", for me easily the highlight of what I saw of their first set. Set 2 opened with crowd pleaser "Mama", singer John Kirby superbly lit (as was the entire show) in green strobes as he pulled a suitable Collins-esque gurn during the sinister laughter that has become that song's signature moment, and through out the show John displayed knowing touches of dramatic stage presence, not least during "The Musical Box" - the interaction with an over enthusiastic fan merely adding to the spectacle.

Closing opus "Firth of Fith" resulted in roars of approval before John joined drummer Alex for a spectacular duet that worked like magic. The fact that John also drums means Genes-ish are able to deliver the full Collins style show to superb effect. Dramatic stage presence, excellent musicianship and spellbinding vocal delivery - what more could you ask of a front man?

A spectacular "Los Endos", an enormous huge crowd singalong to "I Know What I Like" and a suitably uptempo "Turn It On Again" closed out one of the best shows I have seen in a very long time and easily one of my top gigs this year.

With excellent performances from Neil Gordon (keys), Pete Smith (guitars) , Justin Ryan (bass) and Alex Lindley (drums), Genes-ish are easily up there with the top tributes you will ever see.

I could have wrote this review in one word - AWESOME !

Moo! PMSbull

The irony is that a Genesis tribute band would probably be the one I would like to play in or even see. But I won't. I have watched the youtube vids of Genesish and, yes, they show considerable merit (the band, not the videos). But I don't do nostaligia very well, I'm afraid.

Like the website tho; (but why no music?). Click on the Squonk :)!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1322393694' post='1450175']
I wasn't able to get along for this, but I'll C&P this from a local music forum...

-------------

Genes-ish @ The Office, Sat 26th Nov 2011

As we all know, the North East is a hotbed of talent, and when it comes to tribute bands we are especially well catered for - some of the country's finest residing right at our doorstep.

Consequently our expectations of tribute bands are set very highly indeed and the vast majority of imported talent falls well short of the supreme standards we have come to expect.

NOT THIS BAND.....

Having saw their gig at the 3 Tuns about a year or so ago, I was expecting a quality show, but the lineup changes since that gig have taken what was already a superb tribute and lifted it right up to the very top of the tree.

Arriving an infuriating 15 minutes late, I found the band just about to open "The Cage", for me easily the highlight of what I saw of their first set. Set 2 opened with crowd pleaser "Mama", singer John Kirby superbly lit (as was the entire show) in green strobes as he pulled a suitable Collins-esque gurn during the sinister laughter that has become that song's signature moment, and through out the show John displayed knowing touches of dramatic stage presence, not least during "The Musical Box" - the interaction with an over enthusiastic fan merely adding to the spectacle.

Closing opus "Firth of Fith" resulted in roars of approval before John joined drummer Alex for a spectacular duet that worked like magic. The fact that John also drums means Genes-ish are able to deliver the full Collins style show to superb effect. Dramatic stage presence, excellent musicianship and spellbinding vocal delivery - what more could you ask of a front man?

A spectacular "Los Endos", an enormous huge crowd singalong to "I Know What I Like" and a suitably uptempo "Turn It On Again" closed out one of the best shows I have seen in a very long time and easily one of my top gigs this year.

With excellent performances from Neil Gordon (keys), Pete Smith (guitars) , Justin Ryan (bass) and Alex Lindley (drums), Genes-ish are easily up there with the top tributes you will ever see.

I could have wrote this review in one word - AWESOME !

Moo! PMSbull
[/quote]

Thanks! Only just seen this... Thanks to all who turned up too and your comments.

J

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1322769538' post='1455746']
Heard A LOT about you guys in the past, and i honestly have to say that i love your name, one of the best tribute band names around tbh. Simple yet entertaining and a good description.

Liam
[/quote]

Cheers Liam, Most of the band members are from Bolton, Do the Moses Gate every so often if you fancy seeing the show give me a buzz.

Justin.