Why become a member? ×

Is Talent Inherited?

Pete Academy

I love this Nature or Nurture debate.

My parents had no musical talent, but did have a love of music and always encouraged me and my sister to do what made us happy. I loved playing music (starting with the recorder aged 5, leading to classical guitar, oboe, violin, keyboards and in later life the bass), my sister had a love of literature.

My Mum was a very talented artist, my Dad a talented sportsman.... Neither me nor my sister can draw or play sports!! My grandfather, however, was a very talented singer and did loads of pub gigs as a soloist (I'd like to think he'd be proud of me for being in a band now)

I think it is about being supportive and allow development rather than genetics personally.

Most of what is called talent is just ability. That can be topped by a layer of extreme ability but for a few, at the very tip of ability, there is talent.

It’s not normal to be this good and self teaching is a characteristic at this level. I’ve worked with some IT people whose ability was almost beyond measurement, they were verging on the autistic.

There's a 9 year old girl who can speak 7 languages and then there's Mozart. They weren't taught. At this level of talent/ability they very quickly leave teachers behind.

But being Einstein or a great athlete or great scientist needs genes to be lined up is a particular order because teaching only takes you so far. Like all genetic traits, those genes can be passed on.

[quote]

If you're a totally inept cack-handed numpty muppet with halitosis and a limp, then hard luck!
[/quote]

It's not that I'm offended but it would be nice to have a little more encouragement. Now where did I leave my Extra Strong mints?

My great uncle played guitar for a living. My grandmother was (said to be) a very good piano player. Other than that, there's no musical heritage in my family. I was exposed to a lot of classic rock, prog rock, folk, drum and bass and motown from a young age. However, my cousin is also in the same situation (just 6 weeks younger than me, same musical exposure and heritage, parents had no musical ability whatsoever). He is quite the guitarist, with me quite the bass player (so people say). Is that an insight into inheritence jumping generations?