Why become a member? ×

Fenderbird

4 Strings

Ages ago I bought a Bitsa P. Its a 70s Fender neck, plays very nicely and (I was told) a Fender pickguard, Squier electrics and bridge and a non-entity body which is at least solid wood.
[attachment=93731:Doner Fender.jpg]

Works fine but I thought it would be more fun to put a Thunderbird body with it I bought a body.
[attachment=93732:Thunderbird.jpg]

This is going to be on a tight budget and so will probably take a while but I'd like it to look like Entwhistle's red one (I know the body is different but its just an aim).
[attachment=93733:fenderbird_rsg-1.jpg]

I need some cheap pups and electronics and bridge. Any ideas? (Funnily enough there were two just sets on the dreaded ebay only last week!)

Your main problem will be finding chrome soapbar shaped humbuckers on a budget. There are a couple of people making T.Bird replica pickups (Mike Lull and Thunderbuckers), but they're both up in the boutique price range. There was a thread a while back that mentioned a Far Eastern company that made T.Bird replicas with authentic looking chrome pickups. I can't remember their name but apparently they were happy to supply the pickups without the rest of the bass. Maybe a trawl around the forum will dredge up some information.

Thanks, Henry, makes I wish I'd bought the set on e-bay even more now!

There's also the neck socket size - Its narrower than the neck, but I don't want to shave the neck. A friend has a router so maybe some careful work will be able to solve that one in an afternoon.

Just to add I have no woodworking or other creative experience whatsoever!

If you check out my pic left, I've just built one. It's fantastic.

The neck pocket needs opening out (I got a stunning job done on mine by Steve at PMT Mcr), and it'll still neck-dive with the Fender(sic) neck on, but I completely cured mine with Hipshot Ultralights (£50) and shifting the strap button. I also put a Hipshot Supertone bridge on (£60), but I didn't mind spending a bit on it. The bridge mounts via three huge sockets, so if you use a more generic bridge you'll still have those holes, plus the bridge is pretty high, so bear that in mind when you're doing the neck rout, or you may end up with your Gotoh (or whatever) on a block... I didn't think the stock bridge was too bad (apart from the pain in the arse of the saddle falling out when you change strings), but the hipshot is a definite improvement.

The pickups are the major sticking point (don't fancy lashing out for the Mike Lull set just yet), although Seymour Duncan SSBs will fit, I believe. I'm considering Nordstrand Big Splits at the mo, but those will have to wait until after Xmas. The standard pups aren't too bad for now, tbh.

The only down for mine is I started with a really cheap multi-dinged Korean Epi body, and now I wish I'd spent a bit more (I even had a look at that body of yours on EBay) and had a nicer one. I guess it's 'reliced', though... :)

Edit: more pics of mine (before new bridge) here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/155523-nbd-fenderbird-in-da-house/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/155523-nbd-fenderbird-in-da-house/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

Edited by Muzz

Got a pair of these for my project, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400203607145 he also does bridges at a reasonable cost, P+P is combined and discounted.
They are chrome , just have poly protecting them in the pic. They're made by Artec.
Cant say how good they are yet as they aren't fitted.
Axesrus for cheap reasonable quality electrics, and knobs

Andy

Great thanks for all the encouragement, the Muzz axe is truly the job, that routing is especially excellent! How much did he charge? Same number of frets so hopefully any variation in longitudinal positioning can be taken up in the bridge adjustment.

I've already come across the Artec pups in my search and they look interesting, I'd really appreciate knowing how you get on with them. Do you know what dimensions they are?

I'm wondering about a MM pup for the bridge position. I know it won't be the same without the MM preamp and will require a bit of additional routing but I'd love it to sound like a MM with a full Gibson sound for the neck end.

Eventual aim will be a reddy-orange refinish.

Yeah, I'd love to know what those Artec pups are like, and how big they are (they certainly look right), though chrome surrounds would finsh them off properly.

Give Steve at PMT a ring - he's very good, and very reasonable. 0161 877 4962

Be aware though, that the control cavity isn't exactly deep if you're thinking of fitting a preamp.

Thanks, my nearest PMT is Romford but I'm sure they have a van going between the shops. My friend is over 80 (spring chicken comments apply though!) so I'll have a chat with him first.

It seems that the pup openings have been opened a little, which may mean the pup surround will no longer be possible.

I'll be picking it up at lunchtime and so will know a bit more then.

The bridge looks okay in the pic. Say, Muzz, why would you want a different body? Is it from nasty wood?

Just to add Artec also seem to do an ideal preamp, it has concentric TnB pots so only needs 3 holes. Getting exciting!

Edited by 4 Strings

Pickup dimensions,
Pup body
width across strings 70mm
length along strings 31mm
depth 18mm + 4mm mounting bracket into surround
mounting screw through surround is 30mm long
Pup surround
width 201mm
length 45mm

If youre mounting the pup through the surround and a scratch plate the surround is about 2mm thick. That + sratchplate thickness will give you the amount of the mounting screw that penetrates (oo-er!)into the routing.

Andy

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1322157713' post='1447407']
Yeah, I'd love to know what those Artec pups are like, and how big they are (they certainly look right), though chrome surrounds would finsh them off properly.

[/quote]

Aaaarrgh, want chrome surrounds now.....

Andy

Thanks, Soopercrip, I've picked the body up now, looks like a 3-4mm widening of the pup cavities (apparently to take Gibson pups).

I'll do some measurements and see how things go.

Body looks in good nick, apparently its an older model colour. (Didn't want to be precious about the finish as I want to do it orange!) Its solid wood, thought by the seller to be Alder, but no real way of telling (even if I could recognise Alder when looking at it!) Pretty light which is good for the shoulder but not good for neck-dive so I'll be asking about strap button experiences pretty soon.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1322242648' post='1448594']
Thanks, Soopercrip, I've picked the body up now, looks like a 3-4mm widening of the pup cavities (apparently to take Gibson pups).

I'll do some measurements and see how things go.

Body looks in good nick, apparently its an older model colour. (Didn't want to be precious about the finish as I want to do it orange!) Its solid wood, thought by the seller to be Alder, but no real way of telling (even if I could recognise Alder when looking at it!) Pretty light which is good for the shoulder but not good for neck-dive so I'll be asking about strap button experiences pretty soon.
[/quote]

My Epi Tbird is about 5 years old ish. I moved the top strap button to the top of the body's heel, just behind the neck. Helped the neck drop a little. May be improved as well as the fender neck will not be as long as the original TBird one. And as far as I can remember, mine is alder.

Edited by Nibody