Why become a member? ×

***SOLD*** The Most Special Wal Of All?? ***SOLD***

lowregisterhead

Im not sure that it ends a piece of history, as Wal basses are as good now as they were before, inherriting the same tradition, history, and same craftsmanship. Pete's legacy dare i say it (legacy) and that of Ian Waller himself, still live on through the more than capable hands of Paul Herman, who lets face it, has been in the Wal camp for a lot more years than many people realise..... There are many facets to the Wal manufacturing process, and every bass passes the Wal quality control process, so if Pete, Paul, or others sign it off, it still carries the prestige, from the Waller, Pete, Paul and more importantly, Wal camp.....

[quote name='supabock' timestamp='1322337964' post='1449684']
Im not sure that it ends a piece of history, as Wal basses are as good now as they were before, inherriting the same tradition, history, and same craftsmanship. Pete's legacy dare i say it (legacy) and that of Ian Waller himself, still live on through the more than capable hands of Paul Herman, who lets face it, has been in the Wal camp for a lot more years than many people realise..... There are many facets to the Wal manufacturing process, and every bass passes the Wal quality control process, so if Pete, Paul, or others sign it off, it still carries the prestige, from the Waller, Pete, Paul and more importantly, Wal camp.....
[/quote]

I agree - Paul's work is every bit as good as anything that came out of the Wal workshops in the past, and he was there in person for many years, as you rightly say. You [i]can[/i] still order a bass with the same or very similar specs as mine, but this one does mark the end of an era in Wal production with Pete's passing, which is why I suggested it might be considered 'special'. Whether it is or not is entirely the up to you, of course - as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :)

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1322344028' post='1449818']
I agree - Paul's work is every bit as good as anything that came out of the Wal workshops in the past, and he was there in person for many years, as you rightly say. You [i]can[/i] still order a bass with the same or very similar specs as mine, but this one does mark the end of an era in Wal production with Pete's passing, which is why I suggested it might be considered 'special'. Whether it is or not is entirely the up to you, of course - as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :)
[/quote]

This information that Pete has passed is new to me. Are you sure? When did this happen? Did you mean Ian?

You let me hold this wonderful instrument in my hands after a gig last year, and I resolved that if it ever came on the market, and I had become suddenly very rich, I would move heaven and earth to buy it.

Sadly, only the first of these has come true, but I wish you luck finding it a deserving home.

[quote name='supabock' timestamp='1322766555' post='1455690']
I think thats a PM thing really....
[/quote]

With due respect...difference of opinion. To me this information being public isn't an issue. If I sold one of my Wals, I'd be happy to share. To me it's like the sale of real estate or any item of value...a current sale sets a comparable. Good to what's happening in the market. Even if this information is made public, each transaction will still result in whatever the parties involved can negotiate. Even asking prices tend to set what's going-on in the market for like items...why not have the market set by the "sold" prices, which are reality, instead of the "asking" prices which can or can't be a "real" gauge of value.

Edited by AndroWal

[quote name='AndroWal' timestamp='1322804679' post='1456039']
With due respect...difference of opinion. To me this information being public isn't an issue. If I sold one of my Wals, I'd be happy to share. To me it's like the sale of real estate or any item of value...a current sale sets a comparable. Good to what's happening in the market. Even if this information is made public, each transaction will still result in whatever the parites involved can negotiate. Even asking prices tend to set what's going-on in the market for like items...why not have the market set by the "sold" prices, which are reality, instead of the "asking" prices which can or can't be a "real" gauge of value.
[/quote]

It was a long, drawn-out negotiation, but in the end we settled on a straight swap for £14.11 and a picture of the Queen. They're all the rage in Tehran, y'know...

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1322836747' post='1456482']
It was a long, drawn-out negotiation, but in the end we settled on a straight swap for £14.11 and a picture of the Queen. They're all the rage in Tehran, y'know...
[/quote]

Glad I wasn't the one negotiating with you! You drive a tough bargain!