Why become a member? ×

Trying an EUB in south Wales or Bristol?

Walker

Hello, I've had a bit of a hunt, does anyone know of any dealers / stores that carry EUB's in south Wales or Bristol?

Or maybe a teacher around Swansea or Cardiff?

I would really like to try one for a few moments to see if it's a love or hate thing!

I really want it to be 'love' but don't want to take a punt buying one online.

Been thinking about this for months now and finally decided to do something about it.

Cheers

Chris

I have an Eminence EUB you can have a bang on if you're ever in Bristol.

Any shops that stock EUBs will probably have the Stagg EUB. They're OK, but at £350 ish, you get what you pay for. Same goes for the Palatino/Harley Benton bass.

For around £500 you'll be able to pick up a second hand Aria Lite One (essentially what the Stagg bass is modeled on) or a NS WAV. Either of these basses will be a good starting point and you'll also be able to shift them on fairly easily if you decide to upgrade/jack it in.

Thanks Rev, I have been on the lookout for the NS model you mentioned. price is about right and as you say, can easliy move it on without too much of a loss.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but is making the transition from bass to EUB a mammoth task?

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1321463166' post='1439493']
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but is making the transition from bass to EUB a mammoth task?
[/quote]

I found it to be no problem at all. As it's a totally different playing position I didn't have any issues getting used to the different scale length or anything.
The hardest part was not playing songs I'd play on a bass guitar, or at least not in the same way,

Now I've got some nicer strings on my NS NXT4 I love playing on it. With the supplied D'addarios it just sounded like a fretless bass, now it's a bit more on the Double Bass side of things.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1321463166' post='1439493']
[/quote]

Wot Bartleby said...

I'd also recommend a book like Rufus Reid's Evolving Bassist and/or a lesson with a teacher or experienced teacher to get your left and right hand technique sorted before you fall into any bad habits.

I found that a proper right hand pizz technique did more to make my EUB sound like a DB than changing strings or pickups etc.