Why become a member? ×

EA iAmp overload! HELP!

JamieBenzies

Hi,
this afternoon I was messing around with my FX configuration and pulled a jack out at the wrong end (ya know, so it makes a pop), the amp's input level wasn't at all high and nor the volume, yet this normally minor mistake seems to have completely overloaded the preamp. Now when I plug in there is no sound and when I slowly turn the input level up to where I would normally have it, the overload light above the input just glows and the speaker hums - Still no sound from the bass.

So, I guess there is no easy fix for anything like this, so I am after recommendations on who would be best to get this fixed by in London. I need it done quickly too as I have just started excepting some important work and I really need my gear to be at it's best... talk about good timing :) .

Plus, If anyone in London has a bass head that they can lend or hire out to me over the time I get this sorted out that would be fantastic, if I get desperate I will post in the general forum as for now I might not have that big a problem.

Any ideas / help would be fantastic! Thanks in advance.

Try running into the effects return...it will be lower level, but hopefully the power amp is ok and will work.

EA may still be able to supply parts (they are a very responsive company). You haven't said which version it is, but that may be the deciding factor in whether its repair or replace

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321372738' post='1438369']
Done all the usual? Checked the cables etc?

Just thought it should be mentioned :) good luck, sorry I can't be of more help
[/quote]

Yep, I've checked everything. You can see that the head is not happy even without it plugged into a cab or bass, just because turning the gain up past 9 o'clock causes the overload light to turn on.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1321373802' post='1438388']
Try running into the effects return...it will be lower level, but hopefully the power amp is ok and will work.

EA may still be able to supply parts (they are a very responsive company). You haven't said which version it is, but that may be the deciding factor in whether its repair or replace
[/quote]

The power amp is fine, I'm using it now to listen to music through the auxiliary input no problem. The serial/ model number is iAmp800A - 1084, It's one of the older black faced amps with a tuner. I'll get in touch with EA now.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1321378134' post='1438467']
If it's the same as the EA350, you've blown a surface mount I/C on the pre-amp circuit. It's replaceable if you can find someone who is really good at soldering and has a very steady hand!
[/quote]
Is that I/C as in Integrated Circuit? If so any idea of where the best place is to get one? and what type it is that I need? I am a complete noob in this area you have to understand!