Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day (pre-amp suggestions please)

Graham

Arrived today from John (Old Slapper) who is a gent - modified Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn model

I'm really enjoying it, need to get some round-wounds on as they suit my playing more, which is a shame as the flats sound great.

In addition to the current modifications I'm planning on adding a D-tuner and as there's a battery compartment already there, a pre-amp of some variety. I'm thinking Sadowsky, particularly as I like the idea of having the tone control in passive mode, but what would you guys reccomend? I've got an Aguilar OBP-3 in my Mayones which is sounds great but I wouldn't mind trying something else

Edited by Graham

I've found the Glockenklang preamps in my Sandbergs to be one of the best preamps I've used. They're transparent and natural sounding, and the selection of the frequency ranges seems spot on. They seem pretty reasonably priced too, but I've only spotted them available from Thomann so far.

Aye they're Lindy Fralins - and they really are great sounding pickups. I had heard good things about East and was going to look into them further; the only other stipulation i should make is that i don't want to add any more pots, so swapping out the tone pot for a stacked one and adding a 2 band eq seems like the best option - i'll look to see if Aguilar do something like that

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1321058692' post='1435105']
I've found the Glockenklang preamps in my Sandbergs to be one of the best preamps I've used. They're transparent and natural sounding, and the selection of the frequency ranges seems spot on. They seem pretty reasonably priced too, but I've only spotted them available from Thomann so far.
[/quote]

I have the Glock in 2 basses now, mighty pre-amps. And if you get the seperated bass and treble knobs, you have the passive tone control when you go passive, love that.