Why become a member? ×

Power Amp recommendations for SansAmp VT Bass preamp and Barefaced Compact cabinet

Subfeeder

I've seen some posts about using a preamp into a power amp to drive cabinets and am thinking of doing the same. I have a GK compact combo which I have been using for years. I recently got a Barefaced Compact for bigger gigs. I've also got a Sansamp VT bass that I use as a preamp to get a warmer tone out of the GK combo and for direct recording. However, the GK combo plus Barefaced Compact cab is not ideal as it's a lot to carry around and the GK is a bit underpowered. I don't play loud but need to be able to keep up with fairly loud funk type drummers.
So the signal path will be Bass -> VT Bass -> Power Amp -> Compact cabinet
Firstly - is this viable? Anybody with experience of a similar setup care to comment on tone, ease of use, reliability etc?
Secondly - what kind of power amp should I get? Requirements are price (low) weight (low) and power (high). I know I won't get all three of those in one package but will compromise as necessary.
The tech side of this is a grey area for me - are there any requirements for the power amp in regard to the output of the VT Bass preamp? I know the Compact is 8 Ohms and rated up to 600W. I've seen mention of bridging for stereo power amps - I guess I need one that I can get the max out of a single channel 8 Ohm load.
Anyway, any advice gratefully received

I used a very similar set up for a long time. VT Bass into power amp driving different cabinets. Actually, I'm inclined to move back to this rig because it sounds so good. The only power amp I ever used is my QSC PLX1602. It's ten years old now and it never failed me. Only think I ever did was to replace the fan because it was getting a bit noisy and the tech said it was better to change it before it goes in the middle of a gig.

So if you don't want to ever have to worry about the reliability of your rig I strongly recommend QSC. Take a look at the QSC GX range. They're cheaper than the PLX series but supposed to be equally good. With a QSC GX5 you'd get 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms. They only weight 12kgs and would fit in a shallow rack case. I'm thinking to replace mine PLX with one of these just because of their portability.

Check this link: [url="http://qscaudio.com.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/specifications/GX_specs.pdf"]http://qscaudio.com....ns/GX_specs.pdf[/url]

Cheers

Eddie*

*Unfortunately in no way associated with QSC :)

Edited by eddiehoffmann

I have a simular setup, but use the Zoom 9.1ut as a pre-amp. It has a valve pre-amp, full EQ and lots of other sounds & effects and fits nicely in to a flight case. The best bit is the outputs; stereo jack, left & right mono jack, left and right DI. All this means I can DI to the desk, plug headphones in for IEM and jack to the power amp for the drummer.

Anyway, I bought a Peavey IPR 1600 for monitoring and it is perfect. Played a club with 350+ audiance using one channel and a BFB Midget-T. At 8ohms the thing runs at about 320watts so there wasnt much headroom but was plenty loud enough and I had to turn down to begin with. One thing you cant argue with is the weight, it weighs nothing. I got mine on here for £300.

My tuppenceworth. Bass Direct are doing SWR SM-500's for £499, presumably they are selling off old stock. I came across this when I was preparing for the worst with my own SM-500 needing repairs. Seems very nice with my Compact, not ultra bassy but loud enough to be heard most places.

Plenty of tone-shaping on these so maybe not a neutral power amp but they do have the Speakon outputs that Barefaced Compacts need. Don't know if the other amps suggested here are jack outputs only, well worth checking as I see alot with no Speakon outs in rehearsal rooms but likely they're old doggy amps.