Why become a member? ×

Effects to Gallien Kruegar 1001 RB II Amp

BH12neil

Hi there,

Excuse my ignorance here but this is all new to me and the following question may be a stupid one, nevertheless here it is anyway because I don't understand.

I have set up a pedalboard and my understanding is that the last lead runs from the last effects output to the amp. As the title of this thread indicates I have a GK 1001 RB II amp, but I don't know where to connect the lead.

Is it to the 'Input' socket, is it to the 'FX Out' socket, what is the 'FX Return' for? I've looked in the GK manual and done a quick search on here and still non the wiser.

Any help really appreciated.

Kind Regards

BH12neil

FX send/return is to add an effect into the loop of your amp, many have an adjustable blend between the effected signal and the clean preamp signal too. I mostly see the effects return used to plug something directly into the power section of the amp, without using the preamp, and i do this myself on one of my amps as the pre thats in it is horrible.

Liam

The send/return is handy for any rack fx that you might have (usually in the same case as your head).

Like Liam says, it is usually a blend of dry & FX. Some amps (such as Markbass) have a jumper/switch to chose between blended or wet (all FX & no dry signal).

Best way to view the effects loop of an amp is as thus:

Preamp> FX LOOP > Power amp.

The idea is that you can take your base tone from the preamp and put it through effects such as reverb and delay before the signal is sent to the power amp which does all the hard work. That way your tone will, in theory, be more consistent than if you put said effects before the preamp.