Why become a member? ×

advice please on timing

Geek99

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320318600' post='1425170']
Strangely I struggle to tap my foot when sat down :)
[/quote]

You would hate my band then. I play in an acoustic band that has no drummer and we play sitting down. So not only am I the beat, I have to tap my foot sitting down and in different repertitions depending on the different parts of the songs :)

I play drums bass and guitar and I'd say you need to get your teacher to show you what parts of the drums to listen too.. in alot of cases the metronome clicks is the hi hat and the bass is mainly on the 1 and 3 and the the snare on the 2 and 4.. Counting counting the time helps you now where you are (yes theory).. then feeling the time comes next

Try and feel the space between notes.. like when you're running on a treadmill.. most importantly relax..

I think the secret id to understand the relationship between the notes you are playing and the beat (i.e 1,2,3,4). If you play even quarter notes, on the beat, same note, you will get a sense of whether you can play 'in time'. When you put a fill in, there is a tendency in developing players to focus your attention on the lick in its entirity and not on how it moves around the beats you already know you can play. If you know which notes of each lick land where in relation to the pulse, you can focus your attention on ensuring that you maintain the integrity of that pulse and don't destroy it with your fill.

Its easier to explain this with a bass in your hand that in a straight narrative!!

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1320844889' post='1432149']
I disagree with Mog, some people, like my mother, can pick out a tune on a broken guitar with no strings, I'm not one of them, is what I meant.
[/quote]

A result of being familiar with the instrument which is a product of practice. Its the same with perfect pitch, its all a matter of association.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1320827787' post='1431806']
I had the same problem and still spend plenty of time checking I'm playing with the bass drum. The bass drum sound can often get lost in a busy drum pattern or smothered in the mix on records. Part of the problem is the bass should be playing a note right on top of it.

I often watch the front skin of the kick drum or if this doesn't move the drummer's foot. You should be looking to almost beat him to it. Imagine that the pedal's defective and you have to fill in for it. The good news is that as you learn how the bass and drum parts fit together you can judge your timing by the snare beats as well, although these can vary from drummer to drummer.

When I concentrate on matching the bass drum it tightens things up, but not always. Sometimes the song requires a loose feel. When I started bass I would over-compensate, veering across the beats. The feeling you want is a tiny bit more snap. a tiny bit more punch, and when you're 'on beat' the bass drum can disappear like being in the eye of a storm.

Part of it is developing an ear, not just for the drums but also bass sounds. Recordings have all kinds of clever cheats like using a synths or horns to carry the 1 swamping the drum and bass 1.
[/quote]

This is pretty much what I do - the only thing I would add is that I have started really listening to the drummer and what riffs he plays during the song and then trying to fit my riffs onto his. One thing which has helped me is when I listen to music I really try to listen to the drums and try to filter everything else out.

I think it should be pointed out that the bits you dont play are just as important?

Once your locked in with a good drummer its a great feeling when they go for a big fill that you leave unplayed and then hit the count bang on after the drum fill, obviously a pre practiced big epic 2 bar drum fill is the best example in a Led Zep kind of way for example but even 2 beats and back in on 3 or whatever sounds great and shows that you are both on the ball!

Once you are both working together I like to let the drummer have their fills and me have mine coupled to some together and sometimes nothing at all! Sounds great as long as you both come back in on the beat :)