Why become a member? ×

Hartke help

Les

Asked this ages ago on the old site, but can't find it with a search and someone reccomended a tech guy in either Liverpool or Salford I think who was good with Hartke stuff, I've just had it in my local shop and they say they can't fix it.

So if you wouldn't mind again, a reccomendation please, I'm based in Wigan, thanks.

Les

My Hartke has been with my local repair guy for about 6 months with a mystery 'noise' its making. He wasn't very complimentary about the design or build of it and said next time he sees one he'll just tell the owner to set fire to it and buy another amp - preferably a different make!

Not very helpful but apparently they are a bugger to fix, 3 other techs down here refused to look at it when I told them what it was!

If anyone can help you up there though its probably Dave Lunt. He's in Stockport so a bit of a drive from Salford. i think he's in the recommended amp techs section on here - or the phone book. He looked after my stuff and my dads stuff for years when I lived up there. Reminds me a bit of Austin powers but he definitely knows his stuff! He will also tell you if its worth repairing first!!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1320411393' post='1426492']
Not very helpful but apparently they are a bugger to fix, 3 other techs down here refused to look at it when I told them what it was!
[/quote]

Bunch of wusses - when I got my HA3500 the valve preamp was not giving any output, only the solid state one. Me and a mate fixed it ourselves - a resistor had burned out in the valve preamp circuitry. Replaced it and took the opportunity to replace the caps as well. The compressor control is on a stupid daughterboard which just relies on being in the right place relative to the tracks on the main board and we messed that up a little - ended up hard wiring it and it'll be all the stronger for it.

Bottom line is though two ordinary guys fixed mine. I'm no amp tech.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1320413763' post='1426548']

Bunch of wusses - when I got my HA3500 the valve preamp was not giving any output, only the solid state one. Me and a mate fixed it ourselves - a resistor had burned out in the valve preamp circuitry. Replaced it and took the opportunity to replace the caps as well. The compressor control is on a stupid daughterboard which just relies on being in the right place relative to the tracks on the main board and we messed that up a little - ended up hard wiring it and it'll be all the stronger for it.

Bottom line is though two ordinary guys fixed mine. I'm no amp tech.
[/quote]
Guess it depends what the problem is... :)

True. I agree, in fact I gave one of them a mouthful about it. Although the guy that [i]is[/i] looking at my a100 has had it 6 months and doesn't seem much closer to diagnosing the problem, having had every single capacitor, resistor etc. tested on a scope he's resorted to just changing components now to see what works. He said, by the end of this I could have just built you a new amp! He's normally brilliant too!

I guess these days everything is designed to be constructed on an assembly line and then never opened up again.

Sorry to Hijack your post Les. Hope you get it sorted out :)

• 2 weeks later...

i repaired a HA3500 recently a large track on the circuit board had vapourized due to a power capacitor going short circuit as a result of a faulty bridge rectifier - this part of the circuitry fed juice to the power amplifier board. When I repaired it I added fuses on the main power supplies to the amplifier section so that if there is a fault, the fuses should blow and not risk the circuit board catching fire.

Please Hartke put some fuses inside the thing :)

Apart from that I wouldnt say they are difficult to work on and they come to bits quite easliy.