Why become a member? ×

Annie - Jazz Bitsa Deluxe

apa

Bass No10 (GULP!!)

CH Neck Darkened Rosewood Fingerboard, Generic Body, J-Retro 01 Preamp, Wizard 64's, Generic Hardware, Through body strings, GHS Bright Flats, Metallic British Racing Green, hand made Birdseye Maple scratch plate with B/W/B binding.

Always wanted a green one so thought I would knock one up and I love BRG :) I like the sound to :) That J-Retro is very versatile. Wasnt aiming for a Jaco thing, just a nice fretless J to complete the collection :) Im actually quit pleased with the result!

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='rapscallion' timestamp='1319801419' post='1418724']
Is that just a veneer applied to a regular scratchplate? If so its an awesome effect!
[/quote]

Nope its a piece of standard 3.5mm ply skimmed down to 2mm then the veneer glued on. I used a squier plate as a template but cut the plate 'V' and neck slot to suit. Bound it in black/white/black veneer strip. Its stuck on with very strong double sided tape.

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1319803150' post='1418756']
How are you finding the J retro with the Wizards?
[/quote]

All I can say is BALLS!! :) and versatile ones at that :) . Ive got an Audere pre in my VM Jazz and thought that was good until I got to grips with the J Retro. I thought it was a bit too complicated at first but once you pare down what you need then its great. Difficult to split the pups and pre effects but I love the sound. Its still got that burp but it goes real deep to. Such a wide range. The mid is a nice subtle and variable tool. Much better than a standard mid. Very very versatile. The power is obviouse too. Thourghly recommend them both. BTW Im even more chuffed since its that 'scratchy' one that was on sale here a while ago. I think it was dropped in the post office because I cant for the life of me make it scratch :)

A