Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thunderfunk 550?

gpelliott21

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]If you get fed up waiting for a Thunderfunk have a look at [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4]Eden[/size][size=4]. They are both based on the same design from ex Acoustic designer Russ Allee.[/size][/size][/font][/color]

I have used SWR SM and Eden amps and I can say that the TF-550-B is the easiest to get a good sound out of.
I never have to touch the EQ stage, maybe just enhance or timbre once in a blue moon, and the sound is done in seconds.

I think Eden and SWR SM series are capable of great sounds..it just takes a little more time to get them.
I say SWR SM series as I don't rate the other amps of theirs in the same league, tbh.
Not sure how much the Eden evolved once they got bought out, either.

If your bass sounds good, I'd go as far as to say, it is nigh on impossible to get a bad sound out of the 550-B and this is a popular sentiment in the U.S as well, IIRC.

Dave Funk has continued to push on from the benchmark SWR, Eden and Acoustic amps from which TF's are based on and I haven't used anything better.

I think there is a reason why they don't come up often... :) but chris might sell you his..ONLY..if you find him a 750-A :)
The 550-B is not made anymore and that doesn't help.

You could always register interest with Thunderfunk for a SH/recon from them.. as he is very accomodating about overseas sales.

Edited by JTUK

Thanks for the help guys

ive emailed dave funk to see what help i can get, maybe he might be able to sort me a second hand one or something.... ive currently got a gk 700rb which is still a great head so i can be patient with it and just wait for one to come up....... unless chris decides he wants rid of his haha (not likely)

[quote name='gpelliott21' timestamp='1319631293' post='1416602']
PS im also in the search for a couple of aguilar 112s, either SL or DB to pair with a thunderfunk eventually so ill be keeping my eyes pealed there as well....
[/quote]

Great choice, IMV. I can certainly say that the DB type bias work very well with a TFB, IMO.

Have to say, not heard the SL close up ..but my thinking is that they was be quite a strong hard edge over say a GS cab..which my drummer loves, btw. I prefer a bit more shout through the range which I get with DB210's over say, GS112's.

For me, the GS112's works really well with new strings... but I can't be changing them every week.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna sell mine :)

TB550A with the "switch" - absolutely immaculate, not a mark on it anywhere!

Have been alternating with an Aggie 500 for a while & also trying out a simple little Tone Hammer which seems to partner nicely with a pair of SL's.

Personally I think the TF & SL's aren't a great match but it works brilliantly with the DB's :)