Why become a member? ×

Roberts Smoothwound

Stacker

Got a set of these for a new fretless Jazz. I'm using DiMarzio UltraJazz and I'm dismayed by the string response, with the D and the E being noticeably quieter than the A and G when playing . The strings feel ok but the E is a dud and has a noticeable wolf tone, something I've not heard on a bass for years.

I guess I should have just spent the coin on RS77s but has anyone else tried these Roberts strings?

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1318791157' post='1406253']
What's a wolf tone?
[/quote]

It's something to do with the string's vibration and the body's natural resonance, and this is demonstrated by an oscillation in the note, in this case the open E seems the worst. It's like it's fluctuating between E and Eb. I never noticed this with the strings the bass came with.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1318803711' post='1406444']
Not used that term for a while. I prefer the word beelin as in "that pie was beelin" meaning not very nice.

Yeah, get yourslef a set of Roto flats. I first tried them earlier in the year and now its the only string I use. I've got a set of the 50 gauge ones on my Precision
[/quote]

Aye, 'beelin', anotehr one from the past.

Anyway, I've only got one other bass with flats on it - a Jap ESP Jaco clone - and might try D'addario Chromes. These other things are going in the bin.