Why become a member? ×

Markbass LMII safety feature?

Vibrating G String

Hi, I was playing at a gig through my trusty LMII and to hear one cabinet soloed I pulled a speaker cable from the back of the amp while I was playing and plugged it back in. Shortly after that the amp was dead quiet though signal was still flowing out the DI in back and into the PA but not to either cabinet.

I futzed with it a bit and then after turning it off and back on it worked again. Is there some kind of circuit breaker/protector in there that I tripped or might I have more serious problems?

I've never experienced that.. But once I put my F1 through a cab that didn't have a high enough power handling... As luck would have it, the fan hadn't come on on the head (an intermittent problem on F1s I think, easily fixed by blowing into the hole to get it moving :) ). Which meant it was running a bit hot, and shut itself off. I turned it off and on and was fine. So it's probably a thermal protection type thing :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1318669031' post='1404898']

I futzed with it a bit and then after turning it off and back on it worked again. Is there some kind of circuit breaker/protector in there that I tripped or might I have more serious problems?
[/quote]

Yes - there is protection circuitry which cuts out the power stage if the amp overheats or the power fluctuates - I'd say that you have most likely triggered this by unplugging and plugging stuff in with the power on.

As you've found out, it's generally not a good idea to connect and disconnect speakers from amps with the power switched on.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1318674368' post='1405004']

Yes - there is protection circuitry which cuts out the power stage if the amp overheats or the power fluctuates - I'd say that you have most likely triggered this by unplugging and plugging stuff in with the power on.

As you've found out, it's generally not a good idea to connect and disconnect speakers from amps with the power switched on.
[/quote]
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1318670322' post='1404921']
I've never experienced that.. But once I put my F1 through a cab that didn't have a high enough power handling... As luck would have it, the fan hadn't come on on the head (an intermittent problem on F1s I think, easily fixed by blowing into the hole to get it moving :) ). Which meant it was running a bit hot, and shut itself off. I turned it off and on and was fine. So it's probably a thermal protection type thing :)
[/quote]
I've heard a number of complaints about bad fans on MarkBass amps. They look like standard computer type fans, I'd bet there's a higher quality model we can swap in. It's a great amp at a great price and putting a few dollars into modding it would be reasonable for me.

The only issue I have with my fan is that I have to take a few seconds to check it's on. If it's not, I blow into it to get it going. Did consider sending it back when I discovered the issue a few months after purchase but I didn't want to let go of it as being without it for x amount of time wasn't worth it :)