Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1973 Rickenbacker 4001

Stacker

As usual, stuff pops up on here that you've gotta try and snag so since one of my Nash basses isn't attracting any interest I may have to flog this 4001 and/or maybe my Fireglo V63.

This 4001 started life as Jetglo and has been stripped back and given an oil finish, which is kinda neat. The neck has been shaved back a little (think Chris Squire's neck profile) and has a reissue Horseshoe in the rear pup position and the correct toaster in the 1/2 inch position. The original tailpiece had unacceptable tail-lift for me so I sawpped it out for the 7-screw '8os/'90s 4003 model. Wiring harness all original as are the wavy Grovers.

There are a few wee issues. The lying Yank dealer who flogged it to me on ebay years ago hid a resin(!!) fill on the rear of the cresting wave! Beyond me why whomever did it just didn't use maple. Also, as often with Ricks of this period, the housing on a couple of the Grovers work loose and would need to be reworked, though they don't bother me as I'm not a gigging bassist. The frets are very low and she could do with a refret. No truss-rod issues and neck is straight though the first inlay is beginning to protrude a little but nowhere near enough to inhibit playing.

Hard case supplied, along with spare 4001 truss-rods, though I've never needed them.

This bass does need a refret if you're gonna gig it and it needs the Grovers sorted so I've taken that into account withe the price of this fella. I'm looking for £1050, unshipped, which is considerably below the average current price of a '73 4001. Sorry, no trades, unless it's Wes' stacker Jazz or Clarky's '51P.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1318592154' post='1404059']
Well, at what I'm flogging it for you could get the re-fin and the re-fret done and still come in on a price on par with a '73. :)

V63 FG maybe coming on, too.
[/quote]
What year is the V63?

• 4 weeks later...