Why become a member? ×

The Specials

KingPrawn

Went to see them at Wolverhampton Civic. First night of the tour. They were brilliant. I have never seen so many Fred perry tshirts in one place. Horace Panter is a great tight player, lovely tone. If you get a chance Check them out.

Edited by KingPrawn

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1318442924' post='1402279']
Went to see them at Wolverhampton Civic. First night of the tour. They were brilliant. I have never seen so many Fred perry tshirts in one place. Horace Panter is a great tight player, lovely tone. If you get a chance Check them out.
[/quote]

Fred Perry T-shirts - a possible classic? See my thread on this matter..

I remember seeing them in the Spring of 1979, just before they broke into the charts with '[i]Gangsters'[/i]. The club I saw them in had a 'punk nite' on Mondays and The Specials brought a contingent of 'Mods' with them. Some of them locals, and our hated Mod rivals, who had no idea who the band were, who only went along because they dimly knew The Specials to be somehow related to their Mod scene. But most amusingly to our little mob, didn't associate them with the Gangsters single till it was played in the set. I remember a pal of mine named Dross crawling around underneath tables and setting the fishtails of parkas on fire. Oh what fun :) Ah well, we were only 16 or 17. As i recall though they did play a damn fine set.

The only thing was, in the morning they went back to the club, to load up their gear, and with only the cleaners there, they stole the entire clubs PA. Thereby halting with immediate efect and forever all the monday night gigs at the club (Smartryz, in Love Street, Chester)

So although it was a good gig ,I have always hated them for ruining our little Monday night scene where we could actually see some big name punk and new wave bands without travelling to Erics in Liverpool.

Edited by daz

I've seen them twice.

The Greyhound, Fulham 1979. Chaos. Fighting everywhere. Impossible to actually watch the band due to all the aggro and them having to keep stopping mid song to try and calm it down. Got chased down the Fulham Palace road by three BM skins and had to run across moving traffic to escape them Hollywood style.

Albert Hall 2011. In the Royal box. We had a waiter called Ray. They were fantastic. The sound was superb and Sir Horace's bass playing and sound was one of the best I've heard at a gig. I enjoyed this one much more.