Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500 failure ?

daz

Something is not well in the land of my Hartke LH500. I have it connected to the speakers of my Behringer BX4210A - 450 watt combo, that I had taken the amp out of. All worked fine for 7 weeks, [i](The Hartke was bought from G.A.K. eight weeks ago)[/i] then last week I heard a few crackles or quick cut outs. Then it seemed to revert to normal. I assumed it was the speakers on the Behringer, and thought no more of it.

Last night i go to plug in and no sound! The Hartke power switch lit up, and i heard the valves 'click' on approx 15 seconds after I switched on (as per normal) But no sound woud come from the speakers. I tried different leads, I tried, the acxtive socket instead of the passive. nothing. The only time that I got any sound at all though the speakers was when I pushed the [i]Limiter[/i] button in and out, there was a click though the speakers.

I stil assumed it was the Behringer speakers. But having sold all my practice amps and having pulled appart my two old cabs which were taking room in the garage and keeping only the speakers, I had nothing to try it with.

So i put the old Behringer amp back in the combo, i plugged in and all was fine, my heart sank as I realised it was probably the LH500 amp iteslf!

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I cant recall anyone else even having a Hartke break down. That was one of the reasons for my purchase. Any advice from anyone ?

Edited by daz

I had problems with an LH1000 that I bought when they first came out. It popped, clicked, hissed and whistled to itself without so much as a cable plugged in. Everything under the bonnet looked fine, and changing the tube made no difference to it. So yeah, even Hartke can go wrong :)

I'd get the top off and check for any blown glass fuses that might be in there, and any signs of loose or damaged components / wires etc. but if nothing's obvious, just send it back and try another one. Or, if it's under warranty, miss out the first bit and just get it swapped!

I'd go with GAK - that's who your warranty is with. They'll sort out the dodgy one with Hartke, and you just get a new one. If it was out of warranty and you were looking for a free repair or other goodwill gesture, then I'd talk direct to Hartke. Of course, if GAK give you any problems (not that I believe they would), then you've always got Hartke to fall back on.

I had a similar problem with mine. Fine at first, then crackly.

I spoke to DV247 (who I got mine from) who said it could be a dirty pot. I told them I was happy to give them a squirt with some contact cleaner, but would this void the waranty? They were happy for me to try this, so I did. It helped a lot, but still not perfect. It cleared the crackles but the amp was not very loud until about 1-2 O'clock on the vol pot, then at after about 3 O'clock a bit of background white noise. Sent it back to DV247, who sent it on for repair. Got it back 8 days later as good as new. It's still got background noise after about 3 O'clock, but I've since been told the all do this and upgrading the valve sorts this.

As mine is only a couple of weeks older than yours, could be a batch of faulty pots?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think i just hear a few crackles form the new amp. I hope that was just my raggedy playing style and not a foreboding of another failiure of amplifier. :) Your all my witnesses, you heard it as well didnt you ?

Edit: now its having minor crackling pulses for two seconds then starting over again. Much louder if i roll the bass off. Seems to be earth related ? When i touch the pickups or jack mount the sound changes.? I tried different basses and leads Will try the old Behringer amp in the morning to see if its the speakers.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1321708683' post='1442225']
Sounds similar to a problem I had with an old Trace V-Type combo, weird earth design on the preamp fixed by adding another cap on the supply rail or something. They're very similar preamps, maybe the same issue?
[/quote]

It is wierd that its just stated happening after two weeks from new out of the box. I have barely used it for more than 3 hours in total, as i now practice through headphones on my Zoom 2.1u

I will be seriously pissed off if this doesnt magically fix itself. Its more annoying that i dont actually know any other bass players in my city whom i can take it round to, to see if it does the same at their place. Which would at least rule a few causes out.

Sometimes i think that being the only welding bass player i know in this town is a lonely job. I suppose someones gotta do it. :)
cue the violins, while I go off to pick out the haunting theme from 'The Vikings' and stare out the bedroom window (across the builders yard)

Edited by daz

I had the same issues with an LH1000 a couple of years ago. I was dealing direct with Korg back then. I think I had four heads in total before saying I would wait for the Kilo to get released. They're great heads...seriously great tone through the Hydrive cabinets, but that crackling and popping did my head in.
P

Just tried it today with same bass/lead/speakers and no pops or crackles :) ? :)

The Kilo amplifier you mention is finaly released at last I hear ? The only one i saw up to now was last year with Billy Sheehan test driving it. But its supposedly in the shops now. Wish i could afford one

Edited by daz

I've never seen the Kilo. When I met Larry Hartke it was all about the HyDrive cabinets and that the Kilo was coming and it was going to be epic (I knew all the stuff about Billy Sheehan dropping Ampeg a looong time ago). After going through several LH1000s, the Kilo still wasn't out, so I went the Ashdown route.
P

Dawsons have a couple in stock.
[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/guitars/guitar-amps/bass-guitar-amps/hartke-kilo-1000w-bass-amplifier-head"]http://www.dawsons.c...-amplifier-head[/url]

For £666

I'd buy one today, if i had the spondoolicks

Edited by daz