Why become a member? ×

Possible new sub-forum?

andydye

I know this kind of thing occasionally happens on a local scale but...

Krispn recently offered me the loan of the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B as he'd seen me espressing an interest in it but knew it wouldn't normally be possible for me to try it out without buying it from the States first...

Not only that but he lives in Edinburgh and I live in Sheffield so he offered to post it to me, gave me a timeframe for the loan and the duly sent it!

I made sure he'd got several phone numbers for me (work, home, mobile etc) and he did likewise.

The pedal arrived as promised I tried it out, was really impressed by it and will probably buy one as soon as I find a US dealer who'll look after me...

The short version is...

This was really helpful for me to be able to AB my then current pedal (now sold) with my prospective pedal and enabled me to make a properly informed decision!

Wouldn't this be a spectacular idea to encourage?

Is it worthy of it's own sub-forum? 'Gear I'd like to try' or something? Is it possible to restrict posting in a sub-forum to 'no longer a newbie' or 'fully fledged members' as a regular user's privilege?

Pedals are easily and cheaply posted so national loans shouldn't be a problem?

Guitars and amps would work best locally so it would really help if everyone stated their location in their profile information...

Whaddaya think?

In principle, it's a great idea and something I've done this with people before.

In practice, I'm not sure it's a great idea to have a sub-forum for it.

To have a sub-forum could be seen as BC giving an implicit endorsement or guarantee that it's all safe and above board, which of course it doesn't and couldn't possibly do. I don't think BC should open itself up to that sort of liability on a forum-wide and ultimately world-wide level. Sure, any complaints raised as a result may not have any substance, but I don't think it's fair any complaints or issues should have to be fielded at all.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1318408224' post='1401612']
In principle, it's a great idea and something I've done this with people before.

In practice, I'm not sure it's a great idea to have a sub-forum for it.

To have a sub-forum could be seen as BC giving an implicit endorsement or guarantee that it's all safe and above board, which of course it doesn't and couldn't possibly do. I don't think BC should open itself up to that sort of liability on a forum-wide and ultimately world-wide level. Sure, any complaints raised as a result may not have any substance, but I don't think it's fair any complaints or issues should have to be fielded at all.
[/quote]
+1 :)

Although if the mods do state, such as in the forum description, that anything to do with it is off your own back, and that BC can't be held liable for anything, surely that would get around any issues like that, as its clearly stated that anything is off your back, not BC's.

(Obviously i'm not a lawyer, so thats just a guess)

Liam

While it may get round any legal ramifications, it still won't stop people throwing aggressive words around when things don't go their way, and I'm saying that it's not fair that BC mods (or even members) should have to even field such complaints irrespective if whether they have any merit or not.