Why become a member? ×

Tanglewood / Overwater / Tanglewater? One very satisfied customer here!

Moos3h

Hi folks,

Just felt the need to put a quick note on here to say how incredibly impressed I have been with Tanglewood/Overwater.

I recently posted a reply to someone who had bought one of the Tanglewaters at the same time as me, to say that I'd had a couple of minor issues with mine. It wasn't a rant and I've no idea how TW (to save me typing) saw it, but within 24 hours of me posting the original message, they got in touch to ask what they could do to resolve the problems. I was incredibly impressed that they offered to replace the bass, over and above what I would have considered their obligations to be.

Anyway, yesterday I picked up the replacement bass that had not only been checked over, but fully set up in advance of me receiving it - took it and gigged it last night and it's spot on.

Quite frankly I am blown away by the customer service here - larger companies (and, I suspect, some smaller ones) take note - this is how it should be.

I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending them very strongly!

Cheers,
Mr Satisfied Customer of Hertfordshire (or James, to my friends) :)

That encourages me to get in touch - as I have a Classic J - but on the PJ pickup the D string is very much weaker in response than the others. The other pickup setting is fine. I have tried a bit of tweaking - the string height and pickup height, but I cannot get it to be at even roughly the same output level.

So who did you get in touch with?

I have and within 30 minutes I got an email from Chris May asking me to call. I did and it turns out I'd got the pickup control the wrong way around fully anti-clockwise (from playing position) it is the bridge pickup and fully clockwise is the PJ. Anyway Chris said that the bridge pickup may have a pair of coils out of line. I live just down the M6 on the Lancashire/Cumbria border so I offered to bring my Classic J up on Saturday. I will just ring Chris on Friday to confirm. I'm looking forward to getting the bridge pickup sorted and using it more, as it sounds great.

I will update here and continue to give all praise to Chris and the crew at Overwater for such great care.

Well the day dawned sunny (refreshing change) and I powered up the M6 to meet up with Chris and team at Overwater in Carlisle. I must say I was very welcome, and Chris sorted out the problem by replacing the pickup. He also sorted out a couple of other little things on my Classic J, and I came away thinking that I have a custom Classic J with an Overwater Jazz pickup. The price was outstanding. Chris also reconfigured my pickup blend control. So I'm very very happy.

I've just been trying it out tonight - it's like it's new again. I cannot praise enough the welcome, care, and help given by all at Overwater.

Sounds like brilliant service! I have total confidence in my bass now. I think this one will stay with me until my arms fall off.

Out of interest, was it just the D string that had the pickup problem or was yours much quieter overall? My bridge pickup is really really quiet and I'm not sure if it's just because they usually are quieter or whether it's too quiet and it needs adjusting. I may just raise the pickup height to see if that helps. I have a preference for the bridge pickup sound you see but the overall volume drops quite a bit when I pan over to the bridge. It could be just normal but if I can boost it a little, I'd be very happy.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1318767605' post='1405908']
Sounds like brilliant service! I have total confidence in my bass now. I think this one will stay with me until my arms fall off.

Out of interest, was it just the D string that had the pickup problem or was yours much quieter overall? My bridge pickup is really really quiet and I'm not sure if it's just because they usually are quieter or whether it's too quiet and it needs adjusting. I may just raise the pickup height to see if that helps. I have a preference for the bridge pickup sound you see but the overall volume drops quite a bit when I pan over to the bridge. It could be just normal but if I can boost it a little, I'd be very happy.
[/quote]

My J4 has pretty much even balance.
Check with Chris but there are small adjustment pots inside to adjust gain of each pick up. Unless you know what your doing i would talk to Overwater guys first.

Dave

Yep, seen those and adjusting one of those may help but I may ask Chris whether this is the best way to get a bit more volume out of the pickup and if so, what the best settings are for doing so. I don't want to make the balance unnaturally uneven but I love the growl of the bridge pickup and like to hear it a bit more in the overall sound.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1318767605' post='1405908']

[/quote]

It just the D string that was noticeably quieter than the other 3 strings on that pickup. Compared to the other pickup (the PJ near the neck) then yes it is a little quiter - but the sound is very different. I love the honky sound of the bridge pickup, though the neck pickup is more rounded. I'm still playing about with the pickup blend to find some nice sounds rather than the extremes of just one pickup over the other.