Why become a member? ×

Bumping Again, a request!

yorks5stringer

I've just about finished building my headless EUB but have encountered problems regarding strings ( the D occasionally and G regularly) breaking.

The consensus of opinion from the people I have spoke to seems to be that the string angle from the bridge around the end of the fingereboard round to the tuners which are located underneath is too great.

At first I thought it was the Tuner pegs being too small ( as the strings snapped near the Tuners) soI bought ones with a larger diameter, however still snapped strings about a tone under pitch, so then added larger brass wheels to widen the angle, again still snapped strings.

So Daf Lewis ( who has been incredibly helpful) suggested I" bump" the old Obligato strings he sent me and that worked however, the new E and A ( which were the old A and D) are a bit " floppy" and I feel could do with more tension.

So my request is does anyone have any old Orchestral strings please that I could try, as I believe they have more tension? Obviously like others who have posted on here recently, I will then need to source a G but there seems to be enough collective wisdom around on that already!

[attachment=90940:21092011104.jpg]
[attachment=90939:21092011102.jpg]

Edited by yorks5stringer

Hi Henry

I'll do a full post in the Build section once it's all finished!

Bumping (which was a term I've only just encountered) is the practice of putting lighter strings on your instrument by means of substituting the existing strings: E with the A, the A with the D, the D with the G and the G with a C which you have to go out and get as a single string! You obviously don't use the existing E. Bumping means your strings are at a looser tension: for some who've posted on here they need that due to blisters, I needed it as my string tension was too great and they were snapping!
However, as my original post mentions, the exisitng strings were already fairly "soft", bumping them hasnow made them a little too floppy!