Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley/Genz linking help!

moonbass

Hi,
I went to see Mark at Bass Direct today. Amazing shop and really great guy. I purchased a Genz Streamliner 900 and two Vanderkley 1x12 inch cabs rated at 8ohms each and they sound great. I'm a bit confused though: Mark said to link the two cabs together, ie one speaker cable out of amp to first cab, then out of that cab into the second cab. I didn't think to ask at the time, but is this not series linking and therefore 8+8ohm=16ohm? Before I've always linked two 8ohm cabs one out of each speaker out of the amp, which in my understanding is parallel linking and therefore 8+8ohm/2=4ohm and therefore more efficient?! Can anyone clarify for me? I'm sure Mark must be right, but don't want to muck things up!!
Thanks,
Andy

Thanks Pete! I can now annoy the neighbours without fear of breaking something!
Just out of interest: is it not possible to wire cabs in series then? (Not that I want to; just my GCSE physics head getting confused!)
This is such a great head that I can now happily sell my Sansamp!
A.

It really is. After getting very frustrated with the mark bass tubes that don't do anything it's great to use an amp that can sound vintage or modern with just a couple of tweaks. I can finally sound like Bernard Edwards on Good Times!! It also seems to give enough valve compression that I can get rid of my dbx as well. Now if it only had a tuner I could walk to gigs...

Well, I tried them at the shop and have to say it really wasn't for me. A bit too hi-fi. Nice unit though.
First gig with the Streamliner on Tuesday and really looking forward to it! If anyone's around cambridge, fell free to come along:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=156860421073308
A.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I think the review in the link from Dave above says it all nicely! When you think back just 10 years or so it's amazing to hear what power and tone you can get out of these mini cabs; yay for neodymium! When I think about the number of flights of stairs I lugged my old Trace Elliot 2x10 up it almost makes me weep! My cabs before these were Markbass 4x10 and 1x15 and they were a bit of a revelation at the time, and still amazingly light for what they were, but the Vanderkley another leap up in portability again.

I honestly went into Bass Direct to get my 'ideal rig' (well, I wasn't intending to buy it on the day, but then anyone who's talked to Mark will know how that pans out...!) And I wasn't bothered about weight, I was just really after the best tone I could find. After trying the TC and the Genz Shuttles the Streamliner was instantly exactly the tone I was after. Certainly not hifi, but not a one trick vintage pony either. I think the Vanderkleys are an ideal match for this as they excel in the mids. If you're really after earth shaking low end and subs I think you would have to look elsewhere, but to be honest I can't think of a band scenario where that is desirable nowadays. I also used to own the Markbass 1x12, and although that was a stunning cab too, the Vanderkley is so much better for electric bass. I think I'd say the Markbass was slightly better for upright though as it was a smidgen warmer (looser if that makes sense.)

I also bought a PA for my band around the same time, and I would never get everything in the car if I hadn't gone for these cabs. They are so light that it's not even a chore carrying one in each hand. They seem very solidly built; not surprising as they're all hand made by one guy apparently! I have to say they are a bit bland on a purely aesthetic note, but certainly not ugly. Part of me wishes I'd gone for the higher power rated MNT's for the styling alone! But also the 900 Watt Streamliner will never be fully cranked up through just 2 of the EXT's; having said that there really is no practical situation when you need to fully unleash 900W on punters, that's just cruel! What I do get is all the headroom I need in the amp with cabs that are more than capable of handling serious amounts of power.

So yeah, I'd thoroughly recommend them!
Andy

Thank you very much for the info guys. I actually had that magazine upstairs but hadnt read the review. I'm thinking about pairing two of these up with the markbass randy Jackson head, but the shuttles and streamliners are getting lots of love from all quarters.

Thanks again, your help is appreciated.

Chris