Why become a member? ×

Tenor Tuning on a 5 string

Azrabella

Well, after trying a couple of 6'rs I have decided that the fretboard is just a wee bit too wide for my little paws, so I got to thinking... as I really don't think I'd use the low "B" much, but could find use for the top "C", especially in the upper register(s), what if I used a 5 string, ditched the low "B" and dropped the strings down so that the "E" was on the bottom and replaced the top string with a "C". What do I end up with? Is this a viable idea?
Please advise.

Quite a few bassists do this (myself included). Matt Garrison, Janek Gwizdala, Tony Grey, Steve Swallow, probably a few others too. It's a perfectly valid tuning and very much viable. Great for chordal work and transcribing other instruments, if you like that sort of thing.

I'm a user of this tuning, and it's really cool for the things mentioned (extended range, transcriptions of other instruments).

On the other hand, if you're playing lots of pop stuff (I do), low B works as a better option, though you can always get an octaver.

easy
Laimis