Why become a member? ×

New Cab of Dooooooom! Barefaced Big Twin T

pantherairsoft

Awesome.

Shep, FYI, that wasn't a low B I was playing as my bass is string EADGC. We were jamming in A the whole time. At the point where you came in all I'd done was dial up the bass freq and dial down the treble freq on my bass and then thumbed the 5th fret on the E string.

It was a stupendously fat low end dub sound in any case. And is another reason I don't play with a low B, because a well done bassline doesn't often need it :)

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1318020927' post='1397468'] It built up a grand suspense to a grand looking cab! Just a (possibly naive) thought, how would you mic a cab like this? Would you need three mics and three different mics for the different types of driver? CM[/quote]

i'd stick an Re-20 about 2' away.maybe more pointing toward the upper 12. That should capture all the speakers fairly well and get an accurate representation of what you're hearing.

Guess if you're only sharing the stage with a drummer bleed wouldn't be a huge issue either! i'd definatly take a di to aswell though.

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1318074060' post='1397826']

i'd stick an Re-20 about 2' away.maybe more pointing toward the upper 12. That should capture all the speakers fairly well and get an accurate representation of what you're hearing.

Guess if you're only sharing the stage with a drummer bleed wouldn't be a huge issue either! i'd definatly take a di to aswell though.
[/quote]

Definitely. A DI & single mic will be more than enough for live. I'm happy to have something that will do the job without proper PA support, as is the situation a few bars in the local area. They are set up with small speakers around the roof that the DJ just plugs into, but not really suitable for a live mix.

I looked at the Dubster too - the Big Twin T goes lower than the Dubster, but with less immense low mid power, which suited me better. The Dubster also won't go high enough for my swells and synth stuff where I need a tweeter.

Actually worth mentioning that in rears to your other thread about the Moog LPF - those synth tones you made reference too won't be achievable at the top end with the Dubster due to the fact it needs some serious highs. You'll get swells, just not quite like on the vid.

It's a beast isn't it?! I'm glad we've finally got this model into production because it's really special - there are other expensive 2x12" cabs out there but none have the combination of deep tuning, huge power handling, massive volume displacement, flat frequency response on and off-axis, which give the incredible tone and output. Few 4x12" cabs can play louder and only Acme Low-B cabs go lower (but you'd need twice as many to match the output).

Live I'd never bother miking it - you'll get more coloration from most PA systems. Feel free to mess around in the studio! Both 12"s are lowpassed so sound the same. Mid driver takes over where their off-axis output starts to weaken and tweeter takes over where the mid rolls off.

It's more articulate than any other bass cab I've heard - the detail it picks up with clean sounds is lovely but a bit too revealing if you're not in the zone! The Super Twelve plays as loud, sounds more like a bass cab and less like a monster hi-fi speaker, has less extension and weight in the lows, is a bit more efficient, and is smaller, lighter and cheaper - a better balance of design compromises for most players. The Big Twin is more for those that would like a Meyer Sound PA system for their bass but can't afford/carry one!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1318698172' post='1405391']It's a beast isn't it?! I'm glad we've finally got this model into production because it's really special - there are other expensive 2x12" cabs out there but none have the combination of deep tuning, huge power handling, massive volume displacement, flat frequency response on and off-axis, which give the incredible tone and output. Few 4x12" cabs can play louder and only Acme Low-B cabs go lower (but you'd need twice as many to match the output).

It's more articulate than any other bass cab I've heard - the detail it picks up with clean sounds is lovely but a bit too revealing if you're not in the zone! ![/quote]

This basically sums up my experience for the last month gigging 5-6 times a week with my two Big Baby's. My previous cabs were two Acme LowB 2's (two 2x10's). Even given the lower tuning of the Acme's, the Barefaced cabs seem much louder from low B down to F#, even though the Big Baby's are getting only half the watts the Acme's were getting, and even though the surface area of the BB's 2 12's only equals the surface area of about three of the Acme's 10's. It must be those VD and Xmax specs, which I am only beginning to understand after reading the website a couple hundred times. So, perhaps it's harmonics or overtones that I'm hearing, but with the same EQ and level settings the Barefaced cabs just seem louder down low at around half the watts.

Forget about comparing the midrange response between the two -- it's not even close!

Ah! Thanks for the input Alex! I hadn't realised both speakers were low-passed, I thought it was just the bottom one! The mid driver is a monster - some serious output from that baby!

It gets it's first live show tomorrow night as well!

Oh, thanks for the front page quote on the we site too! :)

Shep

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're 2 gigs and 8 rehearsals with this cab and the level of articulation is stunning.

The mid driver has identified a few noisy components in my signal chain that other cabs did not reproduce (strange noise artefacts from certain pedals etc). At first I was almost 'upset' that the cab did not hide such things like other cabs, but in reality it has meant that I have sought out causes and eliminated them (placement of power supplies in relation to certain pedals on the board etc) and ultimately allowed me yo clean up my signal chain somewhat.

I run the cab with the mid-driver on the high setting and the tweeter on around 70-75%. It gives me a complete range from smooth clean sub to super fizzy synth highs. My drummer is shocked by the increased level of clarity over my EBS 212 Neo, but a little saddened by the fact my cab generates as much sub as most nightclub PA's and ultimately can drown him out when I'm fed up with drums :)

When driving my amp hard for loud gigs the cab is a little less forgiving than others as the sound of the output stage distorting/clipping becomes more apparent. This is because of the clarity of that mid driver again, and I use some quite hefty EQ boosts at around 50hz meaning I drive my 350w amp hard anyway. I'm remedying this with Power/Pre combination shortly anyway but thought it was worth mentioning.

All in all, this has to be the best sounding cab I've ever used FOR THE MUSIC I DO. It's low passed speakers, punchy mid driver and tweeter top act just like the PA setup I've been wanting to hear behind me and there is more than enough bass on tap.

The Big Twin T is a serious winner!

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got a Big Twin T myself, impressive cab! :)

I like to hear all my mistakes and the flaws in my technique, as they all tend to come through well in the PA. Everything is revealed with this cab, which in my opinion is a good thing. There is more high mids than I have ever heard in a cab before, no need to boost them anymore...:) Also, the lows are just impressive, no compression at all.

The biggest advantage for me though is the weight - it is just unbelievably light, and having struggled with a bad back for years that is worth A LOT after a three set gig. Granted, there are other light weight cabs out there, but I doubt there are many (or any!) that can match the sound quality and output of the Big Twin.

• 1 year later...