Why become a member? ×

Made in Japan!

geilerbass

i love soundgears, i have an SR500, which is my favourite bass ive ever played, (even if my precision does get played more, and gets to be in my avatar) and i those more expensive ones must be just brilliant to play. what are the controls there? im guessing that, like on the SR500, the two top knobs are volume and blend, but then on the SR500 there are three knobs for treble/middle/bass, but on there its stacked knobs.

Well, umm, knobs on mate's two Ibazzies look the same as mine - Volume, Pickup Control, and the other two are 'doubled' - one with treble/bass boost, the other with Mid boost/Mid Freq.

And, mate, you're not the only one got into intimate relationships with SR's :)

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='161476' date='Mar 21 2008, 05:46 PM']I've got my SR1000EFM Prestige strung with Status groundwounds...

What with the Bartolinis I just can't describe the smooth deep sound.

It's wonderful :)[/quote]

What forced you to 'abandon' 5-string-thing, mate? :huh:

[quote name='Faithless' post='161990' date='Mar 22 2008, 10:12 PM']What forced you to 'abandon' 5-string-thing, mate? :)[/quote]

I just couldn't get on with 5's... don't like the B string thing.

All my basses are 4's now, apart from the SRX705 (for sale).

I see the good in 5's - but I just love 4's, they're right for me.

Thanks for the comments - glad to see that there's other basschatters who appreciate the sleek curves of the Soundgear family! For me it started when I tried out an SR3006E in a shop, but couldn't afford it at the time :) Perhaps a little over-priced, since they are imported from Japan, but I just can't get enough of those SR necks - they really do play like a dream!

The stacked knobs are indeed treble/bass and mid cut-boost/mid frequency - the famed Ibanez vari-mid III parametric eq. Supposedly, you are able to 'dial-in' any tone you could think. I don't personally think that's the case, but the parametric does give you a lot of options for tone.

Yeah, the tone is sooo wide - you need to tweak Mid Freq just a little and look - sound's different.

Neck's sex too - so easy to walk through the fingerboard.

But I got some probs with EQ treble/boost knobs - when I adjust them, sometimes they loose contact, i don't know, with preamp? and the tone is lost.
And there's sort of buzzing through the amp, when I tweak them, so I'm a bit dissappointed.

I showed this to some people, but they said it's better to wait for the End ( if it will come) and then try repairing, cuz it's problematic...

[quote name='Faithless' post='163017' date='Mar 25 2008, 10:46 AM']Yeah, the tone is sooo wide - you need to tweak Mid Freq just a little and look - sound's different.

Neck's sex too - so easy to walk through the fingerboard.

But I got some probs with EQ treble/boost knobs - when I adjust them, sometimes they loose contact, i don't know, with preamp? and the tone is lost.
And there's sort of buzzing through the amp, when I tweak them, so I'm a bit dissappointed.

I showed this to some people, but they said it's better to wait for the End ( if it will come) and then try repairing, cuz it's problematic...[/quote]

Tone is indeed versatile - and the 'wah' effect you get when sweeping the mid-frequency knob sounds pretty cool.

Haven't had a problem with the pots myself, either on the 20th or the 1016. The 1016 is a 1998 model which I got second hand and the pots, while looser than the 20th have been okay so far.

Judging by your avatar, you've got an SR1005 - is that correct? How do they play? I tried an SR1000 a year of two back and, while it sounded great, I couldn't get on with the neck. It's all about the Wenge for me!

Yeah, that's the same SoundGear'ful :huh:

'He' got the first real gig few weeks ago, and, despite my amp has 300watt power, both g*itarists were crying because of Ibazzy's power :) It's an enormous thing...

For now I can only dream about the tone, when that thing will get new strings ( been using same factory Elixirs for 8 months now... It's hard to get same Elixirs here, in Lithuania.. Still, shame on me ;) ) and Line 6 POD XT Live, adding some Rob Trujill'ious crunch to the tone...

Neck suits me very well, the only 'not OK' thing about Ibazzy is body - it's hard to comfortably 'get to' highest frets, and as I got some [i]really[/i] tough solo starting there, that becomes a Problem..

Edited by Faithless