Why become a member? ×

Bass Fuzz questions...Bass Big Muff with more control?

andydye

I have a Bass Big Muff and love the sound (sometimes), mostly I want a bit more control over the sound...I like the setting that allows dry signal to be mixed with wet but I want more control over the mix and I want to be able to eq it rather than shift the top end around a bit...

any ideas what might do the job?

ta

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1317554663' post='1391687']how open are you to modding the pedal?[/quote]

Tbh I don't wanna get into electrical mods, I'd rather sell it and buy something that does what I want, if it has a smaller footprint too that'd he a major binus from a pedalboard real estate perspective...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1317590256' post='1392222']Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie 'B'. It's a blendable bass-friendly Muff in a smaller box. Great pedal I had one a couple of years back.[/quote]

That looks v cool! The demo vid sounds real good too, where can I try one or get one and why did you get rid?

There aren't a lot of them around - they're built by hand by one guy and he seems to be fairly relaxed about how fast he produces them, mine was a few weeks later than expected. So I doubt you'd find one you can try unless there's a generous user here who could be without his for a little while.

I swapped mine with a guy in Ireland for a Woolly Mammoth because I didn't really need a Muff, as much as I love the sound, I needed a gated fuzz. I've since shifted the Woolly Mammoth and I'm using the gated fuzz in my Octavius Squeezer instead which I think is ideal for me - it gates nice and tight but it doesn't sound choked and nasal like the Mammoth does.

If it's definitely a muff you want though, IMO it's the best bass muff on the market. Bit pricey compared to the EHX pedal but it's up to you whether it's worth the extra money.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1317629775' post='1392376']
There aren't a lot of them around - they're built by hand by one guy and he seems to be fairly relaxed about how fast he produces them, mine was a few weeks later than expected. So I doubt you'd find one you can try unless there's a generous user here who could be without his for a little while.

I swapped mine with a guy in Ireland for a Woolly Mammoth because I didn't really need a Muff, as much as I love the sound, I needed a gated fuzz. I've since shifted the Woolly Mammoth and I'm using the gated fuzz in my Octavius Squeezer instead which I think is ideal for me - it gates nice and tight but it doesn't sound choked and nasal like the Mammoth does.

If it's definitely a muff you want though, IMO it's the best bass muff on the market. Bit pricey compared to the EHX pedal but it's up to you whether it's worth the extra money.
[/quote]

Hhmmm, well I don't need one that soon, I've emailed him to see how I can get one...

The octavius looks real nice but then it should for £400! But I suppose it's more like a multi effects albeit an amazing one?

Thanks for your input matey!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1317635373' post='1392443']
Yeah if I just wanted the fuzz they do a pedal called the Brown Dog, the O.S. includes that and a filter and a pair of oscillators, a digital brain, mixer, etc. It's pretty full-on and notoriously difficult to use. I love it though. :)
[/quote]

Sounds amazing! Glad you've found digital love (as it were) :)

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1317753122' post='1394203']Bass BB preamp. got one today. perfect.

It can subtle, creamy overdrice up to full on fuzz.

or, for something a bit trebly-er try the Aguilar Agro, very bright, very fuzzy. Only has one real tone tho. Both have a small footprint[/quote]

Hhmmm, the bb is v good but is rather similar to my ebs multidrive, I want something more 'muffy', basically my bass big muff but with more control over eq and wet/dry mix...

So far the pickle pie b is looking v good!

PPB is great! Not got bags of control but what it does it does well. I think the musket fuzz has been recommendedas a versatile big muff alike but not got a clean blend.

I may have some recently recorded bass and PPB audio coming back my way after a recent recording folly. If you're up near Edinburgh you're welcome to pop in for a cuppa and try it out.

I got mine direct from USA within 3 wks or so.

G

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1317816997' post='1394859']
PPB is great! Not got bags of control but what it does it does well. I think the musket fuzz has been recommendedas a versatile big muff alike but not got a clean blend.

I may have some recently recorded bass and PPB audio coming back my way after a recent recording folly. If you're up near Edinburgh you're welcome to pop in for a cuppa and try it out.

I got mine direct from USA within 3 wks or so.

G
[/quote]

Matey, the offer is generous, alas I live in Sheffield so won't be able to test your brewmaking, I would like to hear your recording forays though?

I suppose the ideal I'm after is a bass fuzz pedal that has a wet/dry control along with 3 band eq and which can do a really fat big muff sound among others..?