Why become a member? ×

How do I add a tag to a thread I already started?

Xmax

Great website, but one thing I miss from the old site is the topic sub-titles or strap-lines or whatever they are supposed to be called. This feature enabled you to add new information to your thread title, such as "price drops" in the market place. Sadly this really useful feature is gone. In its place I notice posters using [b]Topic Tags[/b] as sub-titles, as opposed to the intended purpose of tags which is to help with searching. And why not? I don't have a problem with (ab?)using tags in this way, but it would be really useful for the thread starter to be able to update the tags [i]after[/i] the thread has been started. So the question is ... (see topic title).

Possibly my issue is with a thread started on the old site. Can tags be changed after posting?

Edited by Xmax

Sorry I was going to post a full description but then realised I'd need to find a topic I'd started in order to explain it and couldn't do it before I had to leave for work this morning.

So here goes:
1. Select "Edit" on the first post in the thread.
2. From the resulting page choose the button marked "Use Full Editor"
3. You can then edit the tags field

Bear in mind that it appears only the first three tags show up in the forum view tags over a certain length seem to be ignored and you can only change the order that tags appear by deleting them and retyping in the order that you want.

Devs - if you are reading this being able to change tag order by dragging would be a very useful feature.

Great instructions - thanks. There is a snag though when I try to "use full editor". This button and the "cancel" button do not work. Only the "save changes" button does anything like it says on the tin. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the site or because I am using Firefox 6.0.2, or if its simply because I'm metamorphosing into a zombie.

The full editor obviously works for you, BigRedX, so I fear the zombie theory is looking the most likely. Apart from acquiring a new brain, is there anything else I should do to solve the issue?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1317287766' post='1388966']Also the current version of Firefox is now 7.0[/quote]
But if you haven't been automatically updated yet, you'll find that checking for updates will show 6.0.2 as being the current version. Don't seek 7.0 out - there's an issue with 7.0 ([url="http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/880707?s=release+channel&r=0&as=s"]see here[/url]) which they will fix and then roll out through automatic updates.

Firefox 7.0.1 just installed itself automatically (with my permission) and the lack of "use full editor" problem is still there.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1317299635' post='1389197']Must be a Firefox for Windows problem. [/quote] - sums it up.

The work-around on my 6 year old XP PC is to use IE8, which is a little inconvenient for the extra time it takes. Musn't complain though as Basschat is still the best.