Why become a member? ×

Tokai Jazz Sound fretless (and my 1,000th post?)

Stingray5

I know this doesn't compare with more prolific posters here on Basschat, but if the sums add up, this should be my 1,000th actual post. (More than that, in fact, but I understand 'Off-Topic' posts are not counted?). Only taken since mid-2008 to get there! :)

Anyway, some time back, I picked up a well-used '80s Tokai Jazz Sound bass (L-series).
The neck had some serious truss rod issues so my good friend Gary at Guitar Avenue suggested letting his luthier take a look.

Long story short - the rod had been twisted to the point of being pretty well 'jammed' into place and could no longer be adjusted properly. The board would need to be removed and probably replaced. He had some nice Indian rosewood he could replace it with though. As long as the board was going to be replaced, I asked for it to be kept as fretless, the bass previously being fretted. This made the job that little bit easier and I much preferred going fretless for this particular bass anyway. Result! Only thing is, he advised I keep to lighter guage strings to reduce the pull on the neck. So it now has a set of 35-95 Elites and all seems well so far.

I'm now looking for an original replacement machine head as the 'G' has been fitted with a newer type from a Squier or other budget bass. However, I suspect this may be about as rare as the stuff that comes out of the rear end of a rocking horse! :)

Here be pictures:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgee/5655555608/"][/url]
I removed the white scratchplate

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgee/5655573888/"][/url]
Odd machine-head to be replaced. Note old 'Honky Tonk Music' label.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgee/5655564490/"][/url]
Post-lawsuit logo

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgee/5654996563/"][/url]
That lived-in look...

Edited by Stingray5

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1316704857' post='1381733']
The 'Honky Tonk' label doesn't fill me with confidence but I hope you are enjoy it! :)
[/quote]
Ah, I only mentioned 'Honky Tonk Music' as there will be people here that know that music shop in Southend -- which is still there -- and where this bass was (presumably) purchased from. Note also the very old phone number on the label. (Sorry, the picture maybe a little too small to see the label clearly on small screens or phones).

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1316727515' post='1382167']
Yes,you are going to have serious trouble finding a machine head ! It's one of the cheaper (relative term) 3 screw ones,the higher spec models had 4 screws.Tried the Tokai Forum?
[/quote]
Must admit I bookmarked the Tokai Guitar Registry when I had a Tokai Telecaster (Breezysound) and had forgotten about the forum. Thanks for the reminder. :)

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1316714740' post='1381912']
check neck pickup position, it should be placed in 808 milimetres from the nut (seventies) or 798 milimetres (sixties). If not, you may not be happy :)
anyway - huge fan of old japan basses!
[/quote]
Definitely not that old! :)
Tokai added the 'L' in front of serial numbers starting in 1981.

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1316714740' post='1381912']
check neck pickup position, it should be placed in 808 milimetres from the nut (seventies) or 798 milimetres (sixties). If not, you may not be happy :)
anyway - huge fan of old japan basses!
[/quote]

it's a 1980's japanese copy of Jaco's bass..... I guess it would be a closer copy than anything fender use were making that decade!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1316732692' post='1382268']

it's a 1980's japanese copy of Jaco's bass..... I guess it would be a closer copy than anything fender use were making that decade!
[/quote]
Not really a 'Jaco' bass as such. Just Jaco influenced, perhaps. :)
As previously mentioned, I got the bass with a white scratchplate fitted but removed it as I prefer the look, plus I'm not sure Jaco played a black Jazz bass at anytime, though if I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

I had a Tokai Jazz very similar to that one but it was a lined fretless with a rosewood veneer fingerboard and no scratchplate. I remember it was quite heavy but had a good sound. I think the odd machine adds a bit to the mojo - I guess a part like that is one that comes along once in a blue moon but it probably wouldn't be that expensive.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1316767216' post='1382474']
I had a Tokai Jazz very similar to that one but it was a lined fretless with a rosewood veneer fingerboard and no scratchplate. I remember it was quite heavy but had a good sound. I think the odd machine adds a bit to the mojo - I guess a part like that is one that comes along once in a blue moon but it probably wouldn't be that expensive.
[/quote]
I've always liked that 'lived in' look on the bodywork of basses, guitars, etc., (though only when it's genuine) so I'd certainly go along with the mojo aspect of the bass; even with a replaced machine. That said, I'll keep looking, but will bear in mind the words 'blue' and 'moon'... :)

I know how old Tokai's are :) What I meant is - depends on which version this bass is copied - Jazz Bass from sixties or seventies, the bridge pickup is placed in different position and it wants to be checked. BTW - pickguard is already off! very good!

And depends on which Fender you mean LukeFRC - their Elite products after bridge, pickups and modifying into passive still sound great, like those made in seventies! Only Fenders made after 1985 are rubbish

Edited by dr Szelma

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1316785648' post='1382887']
I know how old Tokai's are :) What I meant is - depends on which version this bass is copied - Jazz Bass from sixties or seventies, the bridge pickup is placed in different position and it wants to be checked. BTW - pickguard is already off! very good!
[/quote]
Oops - yeah, I shoulda realized that's what you meant re 60s/70s etc. :)