Why become a member? ×

Small neck heel, large neck pocket. Cheap fixes?

dave_bass5

Ive just brought a Lakland JO neck off another member, with the intention of getting it on my CVP. I realise its not going to be a quick fit as i believe Lakland have smaller neck pockets on their basses but im hoping the holes will at least line up.
If they do (and all indication says they will) im going to have a gap around the heel. I'd rather not spend too much getting it sorted so im after suggestions as to what i can do about it.
I guess a shim will be a good idea, can i use card like i would under the neck? If its all tightened down do i even need to bother with the gap? I realise if the neck gets bumped it could go out of alignment but will the sustain and tone be affected much?

Cheers for any help, ive swapped necks before but always like for like (ie Fender for Fender)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1316368535' post='1377030']
What about getting a piece made to fill in the full hole. Then when it's set in routing it out to suit the neck .
[/quote]

The problem is anything like that would need to be done by a pro (or at least someone with the correct tools). For that i would take it to the Gallery, I'm after some cheaper options if possible.
As its only a Squier it might not be worth spending more money on it at the moment.

I've yet to recieve the neck so i dont know how much work will be needed, although i know its been on a MIM already so it might not need much work.

Suck it an see with the shim approach, I use business cards trimmed to size for shimming. Available from any good taxi firm at your local pub bar :)
Bit of felt tip on the edges if they really stick out.

Might take a bit of pissing about to get it perfectly straight and centred but it's no more than 30 minutes work, no need to think about it so much.

Cheers Ross. As i work for a printers we have loads of different thickens card lying around.

Im hoping it wont be more than 1-2mm but if the worse happens and its like 4-5mm then i think ill need to evaluate if its worth going ahead and paying for work, or keep the neck and try and get a new body for it.

Im sure it will be fine, im not too bothered if it looks ugly as my CV is Fiesta red and i hate it lol.

Cheers Fran. It wasnt something i had thought out properly when i brought it. After seeing your old CVP with the maple neck ive been after the same. If i had gone the MM route i would still need tuners and to pay someone to drill the holes so work would be needed either way.
When i saw it was a Lakland i just had to have it.
To be honest i would rather get a new body than get rid of the neck but as money is tight i might just see how it goes on the CVP. If the gap isnt too big i think it will be fine once padded out.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1316425922' post='1377765']
hi buddy if you measure the exact gap I will knock you up some aluminium shims. I used similar ones to mate a 70s p bass body and a mighty mite neck a few months back and they work a treat. I will make the shims for free if you pay the postage.
[/quote]

Wow, thanks very much. Once the neck arrives and i get an idea of the gap ill see if i can sort it myself but if not ill get in touch. cheers.

@Mr F. Thats another good option, thanks.

Just a quick update and another question.

The neck arrived and its lovely. Just how i remembered Lakland necks to feel. Fit wise its not to bad, i would say the neck pocket gap is around 1mm so its not going to need major work there.

The big problem i have is the heel is a bit thicker than the Squier heel. This means the strings are touching the last fret. Ive raised the saddles as high as i dare but its not going to be playable.

Other than shim the bridge im hoping i can get a bit shaved off the heel so it fits better. The reason i would prefer it done to the neck is that im not sure what bass ill use it on. At the moment its on the Jazz and looks great but as the P is my main bass i think it will end up on that at some point.

Any thoughts?

I've just put the new neck on the CVP and due to the Gotoh having a thicker base plate I have plenty of adjustment and have got a nice low action.
The neck pocket gap is around 2mm so not too bad. I'll let the neck settle down for a few days and then think about sorting the gap out if it needs it. I can't detect any side to side movement but i will stuff something in there.

Overall I'm very happy with the neck, and I have a unique bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

I am going to try some balsa wood at the weekend. I thnk the fit is ok but this was a rush job so I thnk I'll re seat the neck on sat and put something I'm the gap.

The neck feels really nice. The action feels perfect and intonation is pretty good already.

I think the maple makes the fiesta red a bit more palatable.

A big thanks to Fran for positing pics of his CVP with MM neck. This made me realise how much nicer this bass could look.