Why become a member? ×

Hello from the dodgy Sunrise Coast!

mimbassman

What better way to say hello than ‘hello’!

(...without trying to sound like I'm introducing myself at the local AA meet...)

I’m Mark (aka Frank), originally from a Welsh family, breed & bled in Leicester / Loughborough... now living in Lowestoft on the sunrise coast! Started playing bout 1974-75,... first bass was a cheepo Fender copy, probably a ‘K’ or similar, ...I even had to hide it from my dad, he didn’t approve of the music business... can’t think why? ...or maybe just can't remember why?

Early influences include: Can, Gong, Steve Hillage, Kraftwerk (...Krautrock generally!), Pink Floyd, Santana, Hawkwind, Canned Heat, The Who, Stanley Clarke, Uriah Heep (specifically Gary Thain)... a few early Metal bands, the odd pop outfit, Slade (specifically Jim Lea), etc. A few of the early punk bands, Pistols, Clash, Stranglers etc. Nowdays pretty much listen to anything of substance that doesn't have 'the biz' up it's jacksie!!!!

Became a bit of a hippy playing bass in an experimental self-indulgent rock band called White Island, but we did play the last Free Glastonbury in 1978!!! After the band split in 1979, couldn’t find a guitarist I wanted to (was prepared to) work with so took up ‘the position’ myself (...this is a confessional isn’t it?). Somehow managed to find myself married in ‘84, which effectively killed off my career for the best part of 20 years (...13 years longer than the marriage!). I did however keep playing at home to keep my hand in!

Started playing again bout 93-94 with a mate’s band, then ended up in Siberia for a year, then moved to Lowestoft (??? ....me too???). Played for a year in a Who tribute band, getting to grips with those Entwistle licks! Presently playing bass in a hard working yee-ha folk-rock outfit, with punk, funk, and rootsy blues influences, called ‘Murphy’s Lore’, and loving every minute of it!

Currently playing a 'Hohner B2ADB (Steinberger Drop E) Headless Bass' ...had it from new since Jan 2011 ...and now wouldn't part with it! I also have an Epiphone Nikki Sixx Blackbird ...as a back up bass, but am looking to trade for something a little more ‘Jazzy’. My Favourite bass owned (apart from the one I’m now using) has to be an old 1970’s Fender Musicmaster, which I had for about 18 years, and had to sell due to big financial problems at the time! Yes there was a tear shed for this one, it was a lovely instrument to play, and an old friend to boot!

...I'll write another book later!!! (...there's loads of dodgy stuff I deliberately missed out here?).

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1374672' date='Sep 15 2011, 05:16 PM']We're all looking foward to hearing about the 'dodgy stuff'. :)[/quote]

Sorry... I might not be spiritually cleansed... but I certainly am memory cleansed...!!! I blame the dodgy stuff! :)

Good to be plugged in here though! ...don't worryI'll make up what I can't remember...! and I'll deny all knowledge of what I can remember...!!! :)