Why become a member? ×

Gear vs Playing

Doddy

I don't buy a lot of gear and I don't practice enough :)

My gear isn't expensive, I've bought what I felt was the best for what I do. Others would say I'd have been better off buying x instead of y, but it does what I ask of it, maybe not perfect but it'll do. I genuinely don't actually like buying expensive gear, partly because I don't regard myself as a good enough player, partly because I don't really have the money and as such I'd feel rather guilty and self indulgent - especially as I have 3 young kids. I feel quite fortunate enough to have what I've got and although I don't practice enough I do enjoy playing and being in a band.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1373614' date='Sep 14 2011, 07:38 PM']Come on every one knows thats 2nd rate and you need [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-/110739610961?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item19c8985d51"]this.[/url][/quote]

Hmmm, I had one of them, always letting me down, could never count on it.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1373614' date='Sep 14 2011, 07:38 PM']Come on every one knows thats 2nd rate and you need [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-/110739610961?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item19c8985d51"]this.[/url][/quote]
Too pricey, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y"]this[/url] is better for your needs ..

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Mog' post='1373060' date='Sep 14 2011, 11:56 AM']Thats actually a very valid point IMO. Whats the views in relation to amps, outboards, strings etc.
Surely a cheap packet of Warwick red label will do the same job as a pack of Elixers.[/quote]

Elixirs are much more economical than cheap strings because they last at 5 or 6 times as many playing hours before going dull. After 2 gig/rehearsals normal strings are too dull sounding for me.

[quote]Same thing with a POD. Why bother with expensive amps when you can get a fairly realistic reproduction for less than the price of a half dozen EL34's.[/quote]

For guitar absolutely, you get a digitech rp100 off ebay for 30 quid than does a fantastic balls out marshall impression. For bass however the procesing delay of modelling pedals makes them unusable (for me anyway).

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1374076' date='Sep 15 2011, 09:28 AM']For guitar absolutely, you get a digitech rp100 off ebay for 30 quid than does a fantastic balls out marshall impression. For bass however the procesing delay of modelling pedals makes them unusable (for me anyway).[/quote]

Eh? What delay? I must tell my bands and studio engineers about this. And make it clear that when they say they like my laid back and just-behind-the-beat feel, what they are actually hearing is a DELAY brought about by the inability of the processors in my POD to process what I'm playing quickly enough to enable my Anthony Jackson style dead-on-the-beat execution to make itself apparent. I will of course pretend this is deliberate on my part.