Why become a member? ×

I need to practice more :)

Blademan_98

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1370060' date='Sep 12 2011, 07:18 AM']Thanks for your reply :)

I think I should have trimmed the input a little more, sorry!

Not quite the mellow fretless sound I was looking for :)[/quote]
Definitely. And up the drums in the mix. It sounds a bit muffled. What did you used to record?

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='BottomE' post='1370481' date='Sep 12 2011, 02:37 PM']Lost me on the PXR4 thing. But yes there is too much gain going in. How do you monitor? Headphones.[/quote]

Sorry, the PXR4 is a Korg ToneWorks 4 channel digital recorder.

It has effects and I had a little chorus dialled in.

I probably made the mistake of using my Orange amp as a monitor as it sounds great whilst playing :)

The trim pot on the recorder was set too high (I now realise) at around 5. Should have been on 1 :)

"Must try harder" :)

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1370654' date='Sep 12 2011, 04:19 PM']Can you do it again? Love to hear it through the little speakers on my laptop.[/quote]

Ah, thats the trick isn't it :)

It was more of a noodle to try the fretless out. I could probably recreate it to some extent but it wouldn't be note perfect!

Speakers make so much difference don't they. I plugged my mp3 through the Orange and it sounds quite good :)

Be careful of those levels when recording! Especially if you're looking for the fat, fretless vibe: it currently sounds like you're overdriving the amp, or using a fuzz pedal. Which might be the sound you're looking for, but I suspect it's because you're recording at a level way beyond the ideal and clipping the signal.

The solution here is to "keep out of the red and in the green!" (which sounds like the catchphrase from Bullseye, but that could just be me...).

[quote name='Skol303' post='1373272' date='Sep 14 2011, 02:29 PM']Be careful of those levels when recording! Especially if you're looking for the fat, fretless vibe: it currently sounds like you're overdriving the amp, or using a fuzz pedal. Which might be the sound you're looking for, but I suspect it's because you're recording at a level way beyond the ideal and clipping the signal.

The solution here is to "keep out of the red and in the green!" (which sounds like the catchphrase from Bullseye, but that could just be me...).[/quote]

I totally agree :)

I was looking to get a nice fretless sound but only succeeded in a muffled mess!

The input trim was too high but the levels showed at 3/4 so I will have to read the manual :)

Cheers for the comments :)

Bizarrely that has inspired me to try my fretless thru some distortion. Got a big muff pedal so gonna have a fanny about ( excuse the pun ) with it.
With regards to the piece. It's got nice feel, but with a few timing issues. but i think loads of us need to practise more. I returned to playing bass about a yr or so ago after an hiatus of about 5yrs. My timing was dogshit. It really suprised me. Not like massively out of time, but rushin things etc. So i had to hammer that. Only recently got happy with it. Now it's trying to get the fingers as quick as the brain.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1373587' date='Sep 14 2011, 07:12 PM']Sadly you are spot on.

I lose the plot in places and timing wanders all over the place :)

The fills seem to be my worst places.

Like the title says "need more practice" :)[/quote]
Yeah that's the same as what i was doing. I have to practice or it the standard drops. But the main thing is having a go and be creative. There was some good ideas in the piece, and i liked its lilt.