Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT CL USA made?

danhkr

I know they used to make the SVT classic head in the USA before shifting production to Korea (and/or maybe Vietnam?), but I was told they've gone back to making them in the states. Anyone know if this is true, doesn't seem to say where they're built on the ampeg site (which usually smacks of far-eastern build to be honest)?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1367775' date='Sep 9 2011, 03:51 PM']I dont think any of the Ampeg products are USA made apart from the Heritage. Granted, it seems Ampeg have sorted themselves out, but Im still wary of their customer service.[/quote]

Cheers MM! When you say 'sorted themselves out', how do you mean? Were their QC issues, and if so, which period/models should be avoided?

Not had a detailed look inside many Ampegs, but an amp tech I know hates working on the things.
He says cheap components and awful lay-out...plus they are such a handful on the bench as well.
Whether that would be any different if they were made in the U.S I am not sure, but then at least you could more justify the price premium on the basis of western build costs etc etc .

I'd agree with Gareth... most companies would trumpet U.S made.. if that was the case.

[quote name='danhkr' post='1368400' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:15 AM']Cheers MM! When you say 'sorted themselves out', how do you mean? Were their QC issues, and if so, which period/models should be avoided?[/quote]

I think they have new management after about 5 years of problems. I've been informed to be wary of the Vietnam era products, but the Korean made products are apparently much better. I know it definitely applies to the 810s and SVT CL/VR.

Personally, I think they are over priced for a product that prides itself on being built in the US, not that overseas is a problem nowadays. If you are UK based, I'd go the Orange route, everytime. Excellent service and cheaper as it's a UK company...and their top end gear is made here as well.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='JTUK' post='1368414' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:34 AM']Not had a detailed look inside many Ampegs, but an amp tech I know hates working on the things.
He says cheap components and awful lay-out...plus they are such a handful on the bench as well.
Whether that would be any different if they were made in the U.S I am not sure, but then at least you could more justify the price premium on the basis of western build costs etc etc .

I'd agree with Gareth... most companies would trumpet U.S made.. if that was the case.[/quote]

Thanks for the input guys!

Problem is, in my experience a lot of people in this industry have one bad experience of something and spend the rest of their lives telling everyone how poor that company/product is when it could quite easily be a one-off or not even the case any more. I'm not saying this is the case with the tech you know, but my point is; is he referring to all Ampegs, or just a couple he's happened to have worked on which to be fair could've been made in one of three different countries? I've heard a lot of criticisms of the pro (rackmount) series, and others have said the more traditional heads are a lot more sensible. It really is a minefield.

As you say though, USA made might just mean the same components put together in a different country (maybe even not to as high standards if labour costs mean production needs to be quicker), but there is something quite off-putting to be spending a grand plus on an amp that's made in Korea or Vietnam. I guess you just have to look past that and try and establish which is the best to go for with regards to build quality. It appears that is not an easy task!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1368487' date='Sep 10 2011, 12:40 PM']If I was to buy an Ampeg now, Id ignore the lot apart from the SVT Pro 7. Nice price, fairly light, powerful, and powerful.[/quote]

Tried one. It was good, but preferred the tone of my Ashdown ABM. Considering the valve route really, just don't want to spend loads on an amp that's going to be a liability.

I take on board what you say about Orange and I'd certainly consider them, but having worked at a shop that does repairs I've been put off by the surprising amount of their valve gear that came through the door needing work.

I agree.... I think it is pure profiteering by the accountants that drive production cost to the cheapest place..maybe understandably from their POV.

This tech isn't the youngest so I guess the weight is an issue for him as well...but he'll say the same thing about Booigies as well...although I agree he'll see more gtr amps that basses from that maker.
I can only report what he said....
FWIW, he also said the design stage of the pre amp of my bass amp was wrong or rather not as he would design it, so he seems pretty confident of his stuff. :) and I do actually know of his pedigree.
I just think he has no axe to grind....he calls it as he sees it and having been in the biz for so long, I would imagine he's seen a lot.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1368518' date='Sep 10 2011, 01:19 PM']I agree.... I think it is pure profiteering by the accountants that drive production cost to the cheapest place..maybe understandably from their POV.

This tech isn't the youngest so I guess the weight is an issue for him as well...but he'll say the same thing about Booigies as well...although I agree he'll see more gtr amps that basses from that maker.
I can only report what he said....
FWIW, he also said the design stage of the pre amp of my bass amp was wrong or rather not as he would design it, so he seems pretty confident of his stuff. :) and I do actually know of his pedigree.
I just think he has no axe to grind....he calls it as he sees it and having been in the biz for so long, I would imagine he's seen a lot.[/quote]
A mate of mine is a tech who says exactly the same about ampegs & boogies, although he will admit that once you sort out any problems then a boogie sounds great!