Why become a member? ×

John Patitucci "Tone Poem" Transcription

funkypenguin

Here is my transcription of John Patitucci's "Tone Poem". If you want to check out the recording its on spotify, on the CD Line By Line :)

[attachment=89006:Tone_Poem.pdf]

[attachment=98310:Tone Poem treble clef.pdf]

*note: You need either a 6 string bass or an E - C 5 string to play it in the original arrangement. if not, some parts will need to be played down an octave*

edit: Treble clef version now added

Edited by funkypenguin

[quote name='Faithless' post='1367773' date='Sep 9 2011, 03:50 PM']Seems like someone doesnt like Treble Clef at all..... :)[/quote]

Think of it as a way to familiarise yourself with ledger lines :) I usually use treble clef when transcribing solos. The bass solos in the Hiromi transcriptions im working on are all in treble clef

The whole treble clef/ledger lines/8va debate is one I have never been able to resolve in my own mind. I probably do it differently in every transcription. I guess the rule is, if it goes up there for a couple of beats, iyou seek one solution, if it stays up there for bars and bars, its another.

Penguin, are you writing out the transcription on paper by hand first of all, or straight 'to the computer' (Finale, Sibelius, etc)?

The thing why I don't go crazy with ledger lines is just the amount of time it takes to mess with those ledger lines (think, count, write out in a way that's 'readable'), because most of the stuff I write down, I do it by hand first of all, and, to be honest, it's very rare to meet tunes notated that up high - it's way simpler to go to Treble Clef (once again, if you're doing it by hand..)

easy
Laimis

[quote name='Faithless' post='1368605' date='Sep 10 2011, 02:55 PM']Penguin, are you writing out the transcription on paper by hand first of all, or straight 'to the computer' (Finale, Sibelius, etc)?

The thing why I don't go crazy with ledger lines is just the amount of time it takes to mess with those ledger lines (think, count, write out in a way that's 'readable'), because most of the stuff I write down, I do it by hand first of all, and, to be honest, it's very rare to meet tunes notated that up high - it's way simpler to go to Treble Clef (once again, if you're doing it by hand..)

easy
Laimis[/quote]

sorry man, hadn't seen your reply before i posted :) erm....sometimes i work straight into sibelius, but usually i do the rough transcription onto manuscript (mainly to get the notes/chords down) then write it up into sibelius. All the transcriptions ive been working on recently are onto manuscript then into computer, so my desk is a huge mass of half completed transcriptions :lol:

One of the reasons i used bass clef in this is that ive been looking at alot of Gwizdalas tutorials recently, and since theyre getting me into reading these high ledger lines i decided to transcribe this one using the ledger lines :)

[quote name='lobematt' post='1371691' date='Sep 13 2011, 12:53 PM']Woah that is high, you got the tab??

:)

Haha only messin, quick (probably quite daft) question though... If this did go between bass an treble clef, would a C in treble still be a C on the bass, as in it doesn't get transposed just a different octave??[/quote]

No transposing of pitch involved, just different octaves :) C above the stave in Bass clef transposes to become the C below the stave in Treble clef

[quote name='lobematt' post='1371691' date='Sep 13 2011, 12:53 PM']Woah that is high, you got the tab??

:)

Haha only messin, quick (probably quite daft) question though... If this did go between bass an treble clef, would a C in treble still be a C on the bass, as in it doesn't get transposed just a different octave??[/quote]

The C on the first ledger line ABOVE the bass clef is the same note as the C a single ledger line BELOW the treble clef. THe note is the 5th fret on the G string or the open (top) C on a 6 string bass.

• 4 months later...

Hey Penguin,

Thanks for the Treble clef version, though I had to commit myself learn this in Bass clef, as[i] [i][font=times new roman,times,serif]I had to do an graduation exams rehearsal last week- it turned out ok, but the way Patitucci's phrasing and holding the 'breath' is just unbelievalbe - so hard to imitate...[/font][/i][/i]