Why become a member? ×

Soundblox Envelope Filter Pro

RichF

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1317038098' post='1385700']
I have found the Q is not set well on default. benefit from backpage adjustment of that. Please post your settings. I have only had 2 sessions with mine in the 2 weeks I have had it. :)
[/quote]
o.k. here goes.

wobble is all about controlling the LFO speed (sorry if that sounds obvious)

for that one i used filter #6, although i'm sure any of the 2-pole filters (1-7) will work, possibly more as well.

put the mix dial on full 'wet' setting (preferably the counter-clockwise one, as it has more bass retention. you can later blend in some original signal if required.

don't worry too much about the speed dial if you have an expression pedal, as this combined with tap-tempo or a drum machine with midi will control the initial tempo.

the frequency dial should be somewhere in the counterclockwise range (5 o'clock to 11'o'clock, depending on what frquencies you want to filter) mine was about 9 ish..

sweep range is anywhere from 1 o'clock to 5, depending on how much you want of the 'wah', so maybe start a 3 o'clock, and tweak later.

now the important bit..

go to the backpage menu, by pressing the 'mod source' and 'tap tempo' buttons simultaneously.

1) set the XD (expression depth) parameter anywhere between 9 to 13.
13 will be full depth, therefore full speed, so if this proves too fast (depending on the beat/tap tempo), reduce it downwards accordingly later on (i used 10 for that clip). alternatively, if your exp pedal has a depth dial, like the moog ep-1, this will do the same job.

2) XC (expression control) to 1 (expression to speed).

3) leave the others normal for now, except LS. either use #9 (sine wave) or #7 (rectified sine, which is basically double speed #9).
you may want to reduce the 'Q' if it proves too resonant for your input from your initial bass/fuzz input.

now press the two buttons simultaneously again to get out of the backpage menu. i then boosted the graphic e.q. to give more bottom end, and cut out some of the harsher mids, but this is dependent on taste.

ideally you now want to produce a deep, sustained note in front of the bef, so either a fuzz pedal or octave & fuzz before going into the bef, as just the signal from the bass alone probably might not give you enough sustain. mess around with your tone controls to boost them lows if you like.

enable the tap tempo by pressing that button, and either manually tap one in using the right hand footswitch, or send it a midi signal from a drum machine or computer. hopefully you should be good to go.. just tweak accordingly. :)

[b]switch it to LFO instead of envelope[/b], of course :)

and don't forget to save your settings when you're happy.

let me know how you get on, i may have missed some vital instruction !

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='itswac' timestamp='1317045635' post='1385873']
Glad to see everyone is into the BEF Pro over here! I made blog entry on the Source Audio website detailing some of the settings from the 'Slurple Gurp' BEF Pro video. That should point you in the right direction for getting those dubstep sounds. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to help!

[url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/blog/post/sneak-preview-of-the-bef-pro/"]http://www.sourceaud...of-the-bef-pro/[/url]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXkV55co9Zw[/media]
[/quote]
thanks for posting Will. you look like you were having a whole world of fun in that vid !! :)

hmm, i reckon he's probably using a whammy pedal (or similar) in octave down mode, and just using the hot-hand to control the filter on top of that. i could be wrong.

also i think he was also using not only the hot-hand, but also the hh midi-exp pedal, but again, not sure. i haven't seen that pedal on sale over here yet, but it looks like good, if a tad expensive..

Edited by phil.i.stein

• 2 weeks later...

flirted with selling mine but fcuk me it's just too good. I literally sat transfixed for 6 hours today fiddling with everything and i just couldn't believe all the sounds. I am still struggling to get any sounds my band can use :) but i have decided to persevere and use this to change the band's sound. Ok maybe not dubstep but i am gonna have fun :)

Edited by RichF

i have a wired hot hand - that's just cool - I kinda like it better than my expression pedal, though it's a bit more awkward. I will connect up to my drum machine to control the LFO. I also have m-audio usb-Midi connector so will try linking it to Cubase, Reaper etc. In terms of sound, I have been feeding in the multiwave distortion, which is really good as you can hear in the SA videos, but my SFX micro Fuzz is just immense. Bassy synth tones. So to reduce the real estate on my board and to recoup some cash I will try to sell off the multiwave distortion.

• 5 months later...

Ive got the BEF and the multiwave distorton pedal. I have a wireless hot hand too. Ive had about 6 Hours playing with them this weekend, and im still no closer to figuring it all out. Wicked fun, although im sure my neighbours wont agree!

Edited by FuNkShUi

• 1 month later...

Had mine for a while now and whilst awesome is also kind of hard to use. How about compiling some patches that people have used and like maybe with sound clips or something ? I'll happily contribute - when I finally come up with something usable !

GD