Why become a member? ×

Insurance

Willl

Couldn't find any discussion about insurance anywhere else... so thought it might be interesting to get a consensus view...

What cover do you or your band have, both for public liability and cover for loss or damage to gear?
Do you insure as a band or as an individual, and in any case, who is the best insurer to use?
Do you rely on extensions to house insurance or are there good stand alone policies available?

I appreciate Musicians Union is an option - is that the best one?

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Willl' post='158429' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:25 PM']Couldn't find any discussion about insurance anywhere else... so thought it might be interesting to get a consensus view...

What cover do you or your band have, both for public liability and cover for loss or damage to gear?
Do you insure as a band or as an individual, and in any case, who is the best insurer to use?
Do you rely on extensions to house insurance or are there good stand alone policies available?

I appreciate Musicians Union is an option - is that the best one?[/quote]
This has come up a few times before.

Try
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24975&hl=insurance"]Security, Have you got your gear logged and insured?[/url]
and
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=insurance"]Music Insurance - has anyone claimed on it ?[/url]

FWIW I use MU & Hencilla Canworth.

Others will use home insurance specifics, but I believe you need to be careful with cover out of the house & in the car, particularly unattended

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='330848' date='Nov 17 2008, 05:46 PM']I'm interested in this for Band Liability, Anyone?[/quote]

Get one that covers the band, and not individually named members. So it covers subs, deps, etc......
musiciansinsurance.co.uk I think can sort you out. Covers drunks messing with gear, knocked over PA speakers, falling light trusses, drummers fighting with punters' husbands...
I think we got coverage for £5 mil. liability. can't remember exactly but it was something to that effect.

Edited by synaesthesia

I'm insured with Musicguard. But I looked at the policy schedule the other day and it's covering a bass I no longer own, and not covering two I do. I think they charge a fee for updates as well. Another problem caused by GAS.

If you only want liability insurance, I discovered it's cheaper with Musicguard to insure a small amount of gear, say £100, with liability cover thrown in, than it is to insure just for liability.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a reply from the MU

[i]"Hi Dave

One of the benefits of membership is free instrument insurance for instruments up to the value of £2,000. The instruments have to be registered with our insurance brokers once you are a member. The PLI is automatic once you are a paid up member."[/i]

If you earned less than £12000 last year the cost is £144

[quote]I think they charge a fee for updates as well. Another problem caused by GAS.[/quote]

Musicguard will charge for any increase in the total sum insured but won't charge any admin fee (unless you phone up). You can make changes online at any time btw - just click the 'amend your policy' button and login to your policy.

The 'best' insurer is the one that covers your gear on the basis of how you use it. They vary greatly and it's not safe to assume that because A covers loss that B will to (or to the same extent). So best to phone if you're unsure and ask the questions "will it be covered if blah", "will I need any special security measures"...that sort of thing.

The only company I would recommend avoiding are E&L - cheap, crap and notorious for not paying claims that are covered by the policy wording (they just mess people about until they give up).

I used to work for Musicguard and like any insurer, they'll pay out if they have to. If you do anything that gives any insurer room to wriggle, they will...it's how they make their money.

If you ever feel that you've been shafted by an insurance company, follow their complaints procedure and escalate to the Ombudsman. They will generally find in favour of the customer if there's any doubt.

I'd better run before they all put a hit out on me!!

G

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='359148' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:45 PM']this thread is of great interest to me as the band I'm in has been asked to do a few weddings next year, the venues require that we have PI insurance - does anyone have any recommendations as to an insurer ?[/quote]

PI?

Do you mean public liability? If so, have you read this thread? :)

I work for an insurance company & thought I'd share a little knowledge (tho you may already know it).

If your home insurance has Personal Possessions cover, then it may well cover your gear & quite often this is a worldwide cover. However, if you are using your gear for business use (gigging for money) then it might not cover it but you may be able to add that option, depending on who you are with.
Problem is tho, if you do have to claim, it's gonna put your house insurance up, not just your gear insurance.

Hope this is of some use.