Why become a member? ×

Is it possible for an amp or lead to cause Bass problems?

chrisg347

I've had a recent electrical issue with one of my bass guitars. I assumed it was just that bass that had the problem but recently (as the bass with the problem is getting replaced) i've gone back to my starter bass and that has also been having a similar problem. The problem itself is specifically a grounding issue as far as I can tell. Buzzing will come from touching anything metal, the volume of the buzz really depends on what i'm touching e.g pickup screws = louder buzz than strings. The only thing linking them is my Ashdown practice amp. Either that or it's the small Line 6 audio interface i'm using.

Or if it's neither of those, i'm just really unlucky :) but i'm hoping someone would be able to give me some pointers and tell me if it's even a possibility.

[quote name='chrisg347' post='1364342' date='Sep 6 2011, 05:54 PM']I've had a recent electrical issue with one of my bass guitars. I assumed it was just that bass that had the problem but recently (as the bass with the problem is getting replaced) i've gone back to my starter bass and that has also been having a similar problem. The problem itself is specifically a grounding issue as far as I can tell. Buzzing will come from touching anything metal, the volume of the buzz really depends on what i'm touching e.g pickup screws = louder buzz than strings. The only thing linking them is my Ashdown practice amp. Either that or it's the small Line 6 audio interface i'm using.

Or if it's neither of those, i'm just really unlucky :) but i'm hoping someone would be able to give me some pointers and tell me if it's even a possibility.[/quote]

Well the symptoms descibe a missing or poor earth connection somewhere.
Although the chances of that happening on two basses (assuming the symptoms are the same on both?) is pretty slim, my first suspect would be the thin wire that sits under the bridge...

Going to be a process of elimination. Just try the full set-up, then change one thing at a time, including the:
Amp
Bass
Guitar Lead
Power lead for the amp
Interface
Power lead for the interface
Plug-socket you`re plugging the amp into
Room you`re using - and do all the above again
And if possible, try a friends house for all of this as well - will check the power source

I had dreadful problems with my old Aerodyne bass once. Got someone to check it out - all ok. Problem still there. Changed a pickup to hum-cancelling - better, but still there. Changed guitar lead - still there. Changed rehearsal room - problem sorted. Don`t know what it was, but we never used that room again, and I never had the problem again. I`ve sold the bass to a mate, and he`s never had the problem either. Just something in that rooms power supply was causing interference.

Edited by Lozz196

Guest bassman7755

As others haev said, you probbaly have a lifted groud i.e. an break in the earth connection of your equipment somewhere. Note that this can be dangerous - if a metal part of your bass touched anything propely earthed, your amp might try to earth through that causing a massive current flow. I once had the guitar strings on my quitar all melt when they touched a make stand because the earth connection in the amp wall plug had got disconnected !.