Why become a member? ×

Today's Post bought a nice Surprise - Part 2 :)

molan

Bought this as part of a double deal with [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=152397"]this '79 P[/url] but it somehow got lost in the postal system for a few days. After a quick chat with a super helpful, no really, chap at my local postal storage unit they tracked it down for me & I got it today.

Really nice '73 Jazz :

Previous owner reckons it's all original apart from bridge and possibly the pickups (they certainly look pretty old so have been in there a while). It came with an older bridge which a different owner reckoned was the original one but it's a dull brass finish so sounds unlikely.

I was chatting to a fellow BC'er about it today and we wondered if the finish really was original as the wood isn't as figured as many natural finished '70's J basses.

We also wondered if an original natural '73 would have had a white guard but I've had a hunt around and found other '73's in natural with white guards so there's a decent chance it is original. Interestingly I spotted that some seem to have the 'tug bar' above the E whilst others, like his one, have it below the G. Not sure if there was a point in Fender history when they swapped these over or if both were in production?

Been playing it through my Thunderfunk / Aggie rig this evening & it sounds really fat :)

[quote name='gary mac' post='1361302' date='Sep 3 2011, 08:51 PM']Really like that Molan, you just can't beat the real road worn look.[/quote]

I think it's certainly had some playing in its time :)

I really quite like the fact that previous owner simply covered some wear marks with stickers & when they came off the fading on the body was different.

My '72 P bass has a similar 'sticker mark' on it which just screams 'keep music live' which I seem to remember seeing on loads of Fenders back in the '70's.

[quote name='waldemar' post='1362487' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:47 AM']Err. Now you've got it, you really want to sell it, right?

Please.

Hehe. Lovely looking bass mate. Very jealous![/quote]

I did partially buy it with a view to sell at some point in the future (given that '70's basses seem to have dipped a bit in value recently) but I'm really enjoying it at the moment, great rounded full tone :)