Why become a member? ×

FS: Dynatone 100w Valve head for Guitar and Bass

Hello!

Up for grabs is one of my valve amps. Its got two guitar inputs and a bass input. It is branded as Dynatone and on the back it has a repair/service sticker from Carlsbro Technical Services dated 22/09/90, by the look of it the amp it probably late 60s/70s. I bought it on a bass forum and have been using it on both Bass and Guitar and it sounds amazing on both, they guy i bought it off (BC member UMPH!) said it was like a Marshall Superbass, but DEEPER!! I was told it was 100w, But being all Valve, I havent been able to get the Master above 2 before getting neighbours banging on the wall - its bloody loud.

As far as I understand it, the current casing is not original, but a very nice refinishing job.

The good
*Great all valve tone,
* 3 Inputs
*EQ for Presence, Bass, Mid, and Treble
*Two gain controls (one for each channel) and Master volume
* works 4/8/14 ohms

The Bad
*the amp has developed a slight fault in that there's a crackling sound when in use. This wasnt there originally when I bought the amp but developed after i took it to a mates house for a jam. The previous owner said that it could be that the bias has slipped. or that one of the tubes is loose, So this amp WILL need a service when you get it. But I dont think that its a massive deal for someone who knows what their doing.For someone who has access to a tech, or who knows what they're doing this'll be studio/stage-ready in no time.
*Its HEAVY, like the best of valve amps the transformer is massive a its made of some heavy wood.
* The metal grills on the top and back of the amp get very hot due to their close proximity to the valves.

Bonus fun: there's a input jack on the front pannel between Gain 1 and Master Volume that I have no idea what it does - I suspect maybe a footswich input?

Not too fussed if this doesnt sell, i've got other amps to use, but this one sounds the best.

No postage due to the weight, Collection only please (unless you wish to arrange your own courier at your own expense - whilst i can get measurements for you, getting this weighed will be nearly impossible - but could be done however my scales are not the most accurate)

I live near junction 18 of the M25. Rickmansworth is also near the end of the Metropolitan Line.

I am open to offers, so feel free to try. Payment via Paypal or Cash on Collection. (preferrably paypal.)

**PLEASE NOTE** - This amp is being sold as is and I have done my best you give the best information I can regarding the faults. I will not be accepting returns on this item. I cant invite you to try before you buy as its not my house but obviously I will run through things personally with the buyer.

Price: looking for £200 collected

[url="http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11012916"]Sound clip[/url]

please ignore the playing - its awful. I was looking at the meter on my preamp, as well as the meter on my computer to make sure I wasnt clipping, whilst also thinking what control to tweak next.

Things to Note:

*The 'problem' with the amp actually appears to have gone to a greater extent, its only when I recorded for the second time did i notice a **Slight** crackle in the background occasionally, however no doubt it may return, who knows?
*Everything you hear actually sounded bigger and bassier live - it just sounds ALOT better and ive never had to really mic anything other than vocals before.
* for the most part both Gain1 and Gain 2 were cranked and Master was at about 2 (on the dial, not 2PM) - hence the overdrive
* I purposely played through some 'thin' sounding settings, and can always add overwhelming bass.
* the 'Treble' Control kind of works like a tone control in a big muff - As you increase the Treble, you actually CUT the bass and vice versa.
* Some sh*tty noises that you are hearing is actually alof of fretbuzz and the fact that im recording in my messy bedroom and i myself was actually only playing about a meter from the mic.

Setup:

'86 MIJ Fender Precision -> Dynatone head -> SWR Workingmans 212t cab -> Sure SM57 (close mic'd) ->Presonus tube pre (tube turned all the way off) - Computer running Adobe Audition.
No eq or tweaking other than on the amp.

• 4 weeks later...