Why become a member? ×

Fret replacement

MarshallBTB

I need to change a fret in one of my basses, got a dent in it!
Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere decent to get this done? Im in Benfleet, Essex.
I havn't checked with the Southend PMT or Allegro but I imagine their quite expensive!
Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by MarshallBTB

• 2 months later...

For my two pence... I'd be wary of replacing one fret, depending on how worn the others are... If one frets sits higher than the rest it'll buzz. But you can do it if the rest are pretty new, they will all need filing down to the same level though so might as well do them all!

Is it rosewood or maple neck - huge difference in cost to do this because you have to refinish a maple neck afterwards!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not afriad..

ok so right if its a really bad dent your best bet may be to replace the fret. match the gauge and material and then conduct a fret level and re-crown.

if its a light dent maybe a fret dress will cure it

As before mentioned, rosewood is easier. maple would need at least a partial re-lacquering!

I think either way youre going to need a fret dress.

i've seen a strange mark in a fret before which turned out to be a dent that had been filled with something like superglue!

Havn't been checking this!
I've sorted it now, and I was wrong about the dent in the fret. Although there is a small dent in the fret, it seems like it was actually a kink in the string that was causing the dead note. I shortened the string and its now fine!
Feel kinda stupid but I assumed the dent was the problem, saved myself some money anyhow.