Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision

kedo

50's Precisions, MIM, £600.....excellent basses.

Was tempted to part with mine after getting a Ged Jazz, but just can't let it go. More likely to keep the P really.

Gigged on Saturday with some other bands, and opted for the P, just because I knew I could get a great sound wherever.

Always think a Jazz takes more fiddling with, whereas a P just works.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1357287' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:06 AM']This statement doesn't sit well with me. You hear this type of comment very often here on BC. I get what you are alluding to mate, but to state that a single coiled bass (with a singularly voiced sound that is instantly recognisable as such) with nothing more than a treble bleed for tone manipulation as having "a tremendous tonal range" is hyperbole in the extreme - I do take into consideration it's your "honeymoon period" though. :)

I have 2 custom built examples of this style of bass. They are fantastic but I recognise their limits - of course their limits are their strengths. You wouldn't play Fear Factory on a '51 P but in the right settings these basses are king. But however you look at it, they have a distinct single coil tone, what they don't have is a tremendous tonal range... actually they don't have much of a tonal range at all... unless of course your Squire somehow surpasses the one I built for myself and my Shuker. :)[/quote]

If you read Kedo's original message, he states that he wants a Precision Bass & that he hasn't got a lot of money to spend, & already has a Custom Shop Jazz Bass. He invites recommendations from our members, & I simply gave him my honest opinion from my own brief experience. I'm sure he will take everyone elses opinions into consideration too. I realise that the Squier P.Bass has it's limitations compared to other maybe more expensive models, but for the cost involved, which seems to be part of his concerns, it is not at all a bad P.Bass.
Tony.

Edited by Davout

I have a top flight jazzer as my main gigger but I thought I must get a passive bass for some festies we were doing.

Thought it had to be a Precision... limited funds so I scoured the bay.

Came across a MiM 2002 model, turned out to be a cracker! £250.

Some light modding, new machines, covers... kept the electronics as it sounds great!

Piccy...

Even though they have gone up in price a little the Squier P Bass special with the added jazz pickup still offers good value for money. Very playable and with the P/J config a very usable range of tones. If I had one as my permanent first choice bass I might consider a replacement set of pickups (the stock ones are a bit low output but not rubbish by any means) but the rest is pretty solid. I saw one go for £50 on eBay the other week which is ludicrously good value (current new price is around £215). It is only because I picked up a MIA P deluxe that my Squier doesn't get gigged much.

[quote name='gjones' post='1357612' date='Aug 31 2011, 03:05 PM']Hi Jack,

You can never go wrong with Japanese Fenders. All my Fenders have been Japanese and they're all great. Keep your eyes peeled on basschat or ebay and you're bound to find a nice one. My Precision is a1996 one but it doesn't matter what year it is they all seem to be great. Expect to pay around £400 for a bog standard one or around £500 for a reissue like a 1962 or a 1957 or whatever secondhand. The 70's reissues have narrower necks. The 57 ones the necks are wide but shallow and very comfortable.
If you want to get a new one for around £300 try the new classic vibe Squiers. They don't come in sunburst unfortunately just light blue and red but are very good guitars.[/quote]
Sounds like great advice from a man who knows. The only thing about my '64 style Jazz is that it's ridiculously heavy. Would that be the same for a 57 MIJ as I like the description of the neck. How's the cab going by the way.

Thanks Gareth.

[quote name='kedo' post='1359785' date='Sep 2 2011, 12:59 PM']Sounds like great advice from a man who knows. The only thing about my '64 style Jazz is that it's ridiculously heavy. Would that be the same for a 57 MIJ as I like the description of the neck. How's the cab going by the way.

Thanks Gareth.[/quote]

My MIJ 57 reissue is a lot lighter than my Jazz basses and has a lovely shallow neck which is easy to play. I do like the USA P basses as well - they're very punchy. Try the shop 'Imported Instruments' in Ocean terminal down in Leith. He imports Japanese Fenders which means you can try them before you buy them [url="http://mijfenders.com/frmBass.htm"]http://mijfenders.com/frmBass.htm[/url]

Edited by gjones