Why become a member? ×

Sound

funkypenguin

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1355691' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:02 PM']I think there's something to be said for just using a J or P bass with flats, and letting your fingers do the talking. :)[/quote]

I tend to fall into this school of thought myself - not just for my own playing but for others too. There are some fantastic players out there who have a rich, lively tone to their bass which I'll never have. But to me (and this is obviously heavily subjective!) that sound isn't really what bass is all about. I suppose it's similar to the whole "Is Victor Wooten a bass-genius or a show-off who should go and play guitar instead" debate. There are bass players who like to keep bass simple and uncomplicated, and there are others who want to take it to different places and of course it's entirely possible to fall into both camps at different times.

I could be biased because I don't really have the technique or the budget to do anything apart from the 'keep it simple' approach :)

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='1365992' date='Sep 8 2011, 02:49 AM'][url="http://www.musikmachen.de/Workshops/Bass-Videoworkshop-It-s-all-about-SOUND"]http://www.musikmachen.de/Workshops/Bass-V...all-about-SOUND[/url]

Jonas Hellborg talking about sound. worth watching[/quote]

Thanks for that - he's absolutely bang on about the recording and listening back, slowing things down etc etc

I would add that you all should be recording rehearsals and making changes to your sounds as a band to fit songs without relying on a soundengineer. In other words the closer the band can get the individual elements to being exactly right when they are together the less they rely on a soundengineer to do it for them on the gig.

I have a basic sound in my head that I aim for. Once I have that sound onstage I check to make sure it sounds good out front at band soundcheck (which is where long lead comes in handy). Then I adjust my EQ so that the bass fits in nicely with the band (and also chat with sound engineer if going through PA). Many times I've had to eq my sound so drastically to make it sound good out front, that to me, onstage, it sounds horrible but I know that out front (where it counts) it sounds good.

Edited by gjones

Our 'sound' as a band is the be all and end all. We spend a lot of time individually and collectively working on our sound and we are very open about our opinions on how individuals sound.

We get compliments at every gig as to how "full" we sound, mainly due to bass and drums both going through the PA.

We occasionally go out and see other bands to "check the competition" or just on a night out and we're astonished as to how many bands just plug in, get a rough distortion sound or just mic the kick up any old way and start playing. Their playing is usually good, but their sound completely lets them down.

It should be just as important as learning what notes to hit, in what order.