Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice about strings!!

Kelso

Hey folks.

I recently bought a 1972 Telecaster Bass from Si (username 0353203). I absolutely love this bass - the neck is deceptively fast, the pick up is thumping and it looks stunning.

I currently play in a Soul/Motown band and I'm thinking about buying flats to string the tele.

What do you think or do you have a better idea of how I might get that old school motown sound? (without purchasing a P-Bass! - I love the tele so much more!)

Cheers,
Kelso

[quote name='Kelso' post='1354564' date='Aug 28 2011, 05:50 PM']Hey folks.

I recently bought a 1972 Telecaster Bass from Si (username 0353203). I absolutely love this bass - the neck is deceptively fast, the pick up is thumping and it looks stunning.

I currently play in a Soul/Motown band and I'm thinking about buying flats to string the tele.

What do you think or do you have a better idea of how I might get that old school motown sound? (without purchasing a P-Bass! - I love the tele so much more!)

Cheers,
Kelso[/quote]

I'm a flats fan, but in my experience flats and a mudbucker Tele are not a good mix... there's just not enough definition.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1354586' date='Aug 28 2011, 06:00 PM']D'arddario flats are very good IMO.

although with tounfs, filtering off some high end and playing over the pickup does the trivk, depends what you what though.[/quote]

Cheers man. Think I'm just going to have to experiment and see what works best for me.

Thanks for replying
Kelso

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1354589' date='Aug 28 2011, 06:02 PM']I'm a flats fan, but in my experience flats and a mudbucker Tele are not a good mix... there's just not enough definition.[/quote]

Hmm . . . I think you could be right. The humbucker is very thumpy/muddy so maybe better I stick with nickel roundwounds. thanks for taking the time to reply.
Kelso

[quote name='Kelso' post='1354844' date='Aug 28 2011, 11:48 PM']Hmm . . . I think you could be right. The humbucker is very thumpy/muddy so maybe better I stick with nickel roundwounds. thanks for taking the time to reply.
Kelso[/quote]

I'd try D'Addario Chromes flatwounds.
They are flats but they are rather meaty and with a pronounced midrange. So far, every bass I try them on makes me smile and think "what took me so long?"
I was especially surprised when I put them on a Stingray clone (OLP). I still get a very slappable sound and the signature 'ray sound if I keep the tone up (this particular bass is passive).

[quote name='mcnach' post='1354893' date='Aug 29 2011, 01:03 AM']I'd try D'Addario Chromes flatwounds.
They are flats but they are rather meaty and with a pronounced midrange. So far, every bass I try them on makes me smile and think "what took me so long?"
I was especially surprised when I put them on a Stingray clone (OLP). I still get a very slappable sound and the signature 'ray sound if I keep the tone up (this particular bass is passive).[/quote]
Bear in mind that, tonally, OLP and the Tele Bass are completely different kettles'o'fish...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1354946' date='Aug 29 2011, 07:03 AM']Bear in mind that, tonally, OLP and the Tele Bass are completely different kettles'o'fish...[/quote]

Ah, of course, I was merely pointing out that these strings don't really contribute to "mud".
I also use them on a standard P-bass and a Squier '51 P-bass. High on depth and classic 60s tone, yet retain great definition and cut through. That's why I think that in a "near mud" situation these stings could be the ones to go for (without going for rounds).

[quote name='mcnach' post='1355071' date='Aug 29 2011, 10:56 AM']Ah, of course, I was merely pointing out that these strings don't really contribute to "mud".
I also use them on a standard P-bass and a Squier '51 P-bass. High on depth and classic 60s tone, yet retain great definition and cut through. That's why I think that in a "near mud" situation these stings could be the ones to go for (without going for rounds).[/quote]
The Mudbucker tele is also light-years away from a single-coil P. It really needs all the help it can get in the definition stakes... :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1355077' date='Aug 29 2011, 11:00 AM']The Mudbucker tele is also light-years away from a single-coil P. It really needs all the help it can get in the definition stakes... :-)[/quote]

*and* old school Motown sound?
Welcome Chromes... :)
(no, I don't get commision)

Ended up stringing her with D'Addario super light mickel rounds and I'm getting a really nice warm tone. Flats would just be too muddy as the bass produces practically no high end. I guess you either love or hate the sound post 72' teles make . . . Personally I love it! Never owned a bass that produces such a fat, warm thump! One of the most playable basses I have played also - only second to my sandberg.

Thanks again for your suggestions

Kelso

[quote name='Kelso' post='1356649' date='Aug 30 2011, 06:27 PM']Ended up stringing her with D'Addario super light mickel rounds and I'm getting a really nice warm tone. Flats would just be too muddy as the bass produces practically no high end. I guess you either love or hate the sound post 72' teles make . . . Personally I love it! Never owned a bass that produces such a fat, warm thump! One of the most playable basses I have played also - only second to my sandberg.

Thanks again for your suggestions

Kelso[/quote]

well, there goes my commision!!! :)

(kidding, of course) :)

Glad you found a solution you like.
Experimenting with strings can be an expensive business, so it's great when we try something new and like it at first try. :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' post='1356657' date='Aug 30 2011, 06:33 PM']well, there goes my commision!!! :)

(kidding, of course) :)

Glad you found a solution you like.
Experimenting with strings can be an expensive business, so it's great when we try something new and like it at first try. :lol:[/quote]

Haha! Yeah, sorry about that!
Cheers