Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Five Fifteen Vs. Apmpeg B100R

catmanhog

Hello,

I currently have an Ashdown five fifteen 100W- which i have been trying to offload in the marketplace ! - and until its gone, i'm having issues in rehearsal with two guitarists & a drummer - 'What do you mean turn down a little?', they say to me!
I have been offered an Ampeg B100R and wondering if that would be a better option, don't really want to go above 100w for the room space we are in.

Any advice?

Thanks!

[quote name='catmanhog' post='1353816' date='Aug 27 2011, 07:04 PM']Hello,

I currently have an Ashdown five fifteen 100W- which i have been trying to offload in the marketplace ! - and until its gone, i'm having issues in rehearsal with two guitarists & a drummer - 'What do you mean turn down a little?', they say to me!
I have been offered an Ampeg B100R and wondering if that would be a better option, don't really want to go above 100w for the room space we are in.

Any advice?

Thanks![/quote]

Hello fellow 5-15 user.

Q1. What size of amp are the 2 guitarists using, and what cabinets?

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='1353857' date='Aug 27 2011, 08:04 PM']Hello fellow 5-15 user.

Q1. What size of amp are the 2 guitarists using, and what cabinets?

Balcro.[/quote]

Hallo!

One has a Fender Deluxe - not sure of the RMS, had a quick look around and couldn't see anything about an 80w?! - & the other a Line 6 Flextone 100w - 'but it's a loud 100' he keeps telling me!
Its quite a small space to rehearse and i wondered if the quality of the Ampeg would show up a bit more.
Chuck in a drummer and it seems im fighting to be heard or being heard with no tone at all.

[quote name='catmanhog' post='1353874' date='Aug 27 2011, 08:35 PM']Hallo!

One has a Fender Deluxe - not sure of the RMS, had a quick look around and couldn't see anything about an 80w?! - & the other a Line 6 Flextone 100w - 'but it's a loud 100' he keeps telling me!
Its quite a small space to rehearse and i wondered if the quality of the Ampeg would show up a bit more.
Chuck in a drummer and it seems im fighting to be heard or being heard with no tone at all.[/quote]

So it sounds like it's about 100w each. By the way the 8 Ohm is the impedance of the cabinet, not the power rating.
Most 5-15's have the extension speaker outlet socket designed for an external/additional 8 Ohm speaker.

Try before you buy: - change the eq. Cut the bass a little and give the mids a big boost. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest you add an 8ohm speaker cab such as a 2x10, a 2x12 or even a 4x10 and power it from the extension speaker socket. Look out for something in the cabs for sale section.

Balcro.

Good point made in the previous post - the addition of more speakers should be an improvement.

Have to say though, a 100 watt combo for me isn`t enough for a live band, especially with 2 gtrs, unless purely as on-stage monitoring, with the actual sound going through FOH PA.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1354096' date='Aug 28 2011, 08:51 AM']Good point made in the previous post - the addition of more speakers should be an improvement.

Have to say though, a 100 watt combo for me isn`t enough for a live band, especially with 2 gtrs, unless purely as on-stage monitoring, with the actual sound going through FOH PA.[/quote]

Thanks guys!

The five-fifteen was really designed as a practice amp only and not for group rehearsals or live use. I used to have the Perfect Ten which was the previous version and had exactly the same trouble when playing with others!

If you're looking at the same price area then perhaps try an Ashdown EB-150? That'd definitely do what you need!

I don't know what's the magic inside the Ampeg B-100R, but I'm sure there's no other 100 Watts combo out there that can beat it for tone and volume. A rehearsal room I used to rent had one and the band I used to play with was really loud. I never had a problem hearing myself with the Ampeg. Also a friend of mine uses one live, for small and large gigs (with monitoring for when needed), for years now and it never broke down. Extremely reliable piece of gear from the days Ampeg still respected their costumers. If I were going to buy a small combo today, that would be it.

But, yeah... The point of trying an extension cabinet is valid and it would probably do trick for you. Make sure the cabinet is 8 Ohms and use a proper speaker cable.

Cheers

• 2 months later...