Why become a member? ×

Fender 75 P Bass

gary mac

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1353614' date='Aug 27 2011, 04:12 PM']???????[/quote]
I mean, the dot inlays are not right in the middle between A & D strings and the E string is farther from the edge of the neck than G is.
Many fenders have the issue with neck tilting up and down. When I bought my P-Bass it had the neck tilted upwards and it looked like this:

You can clearly see the E string being too close to the edge. The only benefit was the vibrato possibility for G string increased, but the string tension was not perfect and the PU's magnets were not underneath the strings.
I set the neck properly and tightened it a bit and now it's OK. Your bass is really cool and because I was watching it so closely, I've noticed the same issue with it :) No hard feelings.

[quote name='Immo' post='1353828' date='Aug 27 2011, 07:18 PM']I mean, the dot inlays are not right in the middle between A & D strings and the E string is farther from the edge of the neck than G is.
Many fenders have the issue with neck tilting up and down. When I bought my P-Bass it had the neck tilted upwards and it looked like this:

You can clearly see the E string being too close to the edge. The only benefit was the vibrato possibility for G string increased, but the string tension was not perfect and the PU's magnets were not underneath the strings.
I set the neck properly and tightened it a bit and now it's OK. Your bass is really cool and because I was watching it so closely, I've noticed the same issue with it :) No hard feelings.[/quote]

I must be honest, I've never seen this on a Precision before?, all mine are pre-70's though, and if it did need a tweek, then i'd just slide the string along the saddles until it was perfectly straight (Early 50's have 2 smooth saddles, and late 50's have threaded saddles, so easy to do). On the 70's, single slot saddles, it doesnt give you this option. I have 13 Fenders, and it isnt a problem on any of them.

The example on the one in this thread looks to be camera angle though, as the strings are in the middle of the pickup poles. On your example though it looks really badly put together, like someone swapped the neck, or bridge, and wasnt too careful. Yours has a body finish i havent seen on a Fender, and non-Fender pickups, so maybe itsa bitsa, may explain your problem?

Never seen it before personally, perhaps i've been lucky, although if i did see it, i wouldnt be buying it.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1353878' date='Aug 27 2011, 08:43 PM']To me - it's all part of a setup, especially after a bass has been in transit, who knows what sort of knocks it's had, nothing to do with being a P-bass, anything with a bolt on neck - it's adjustable.[/quote]

I don't think being in transit would cause that level of problem (As in the fotoflame one i mean), unless during shipping from the states, it arrived by parachute! :)

Youre right though, nowt to do with being a P-Bass, and they are pretty adjustable. If it was me, i'd just slip a shim between the top (or bottom, depending on the swing) of the edge of the neck heel where it fits the body, this would solve the issue.

I still think it wouldnt happen on a factory Fender (Maybe Indoneisan issue?) though, or any other bass for that matter, it wouldnt pass through factory Q.C. surely?

I think it would be an obviously common problem where necks are added to bodies though (As in parts not originally manufactured to match each other i mean).

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1353868' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:27 PM'](...) On your example though it looks really badly put together, like someone swapped the neck, or bridge, and wasnt too careful. Yours has a body finish i havent seen on a Fender, and non-Fender pickups, so maybe itsa bitsa, may explain your problem?

Never seen it before personally, perhaps i've been lucky, although if i did see it, i wouldnt be buying it.[/quote]
It's Factory Custom MiJ Fender P-Bass 93'.
100% genuine and original except for the pickups replaced with SD Lightnin' Rods. It's not my mod and honestly I wouldn't do it personally if I had this bass form the start. But the sound of this pickup is so sweet, natural and not even slightly active-sounding, full of warmth and clear mids, that I love it and she'll stay that way. I don't regret buying her, she's a beauty and awesome funk machine/hard rocker, my #1 bass for years to come.
I don't want to do mess in your thread, so here's her [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=149190"]THREAD[/url]. :)

And as for the tilted necks - my friend had several Fenders and most had this neck issue. Nothing bad really, the bolts are just loosening a bit with time and it is fully possible to be corrected. He called it "a part of the irresistible Fender charm" or something like this... :)

• 3 weeks later...